cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre phone flop

gmqa
Dabbler

Fibre phone flop

Considering an upgrade to fibre, I phoned Plusnet on 25th November to ask 1. Could I keep my webspace? 2. Could I use my ADSLNation NTE5 faceplate, 6-metre Category 5e extension cable, and TP-Link VDSL2 Modem Router Archer VR200 with Plusnet fibre? and 3. Broadband.co.uk say that fibre download speeds at my address would be between 2 and 80 Mb. Could I expect a service well above the lower figure?
Spokesperson 1 listened to my questions, then passed me on to spokesperson 2, who took time out to speak to a more senior person, then quickly read some terms and conditions and gave me the impression that my wishes would be granted.
Soon after I received two identical one-way emails from Plusnet telling me "the date you've chosen for an engineer to install your new Plusnet Fibre service". I wrote to the Help Assistant asking what the appointment was for. Ten minutes later two emails told me that "your £50 cashback offer is now being processed". Why I was offered cashback I had no idea. Three hours later I received one email thanking me for "taking the time in helping us to build a world class Customer Support Centre", which I hadn't done, being unable to answer compulsory questions requiring grossly inaccurate black or white answers.
I then received another two emails, "Confirmation for your order" of "Plusnet Hub One". I immediately asked the Help Assistant to please cancel the hub which I had not ordered. Two emails then told me, "We've opened a Question on your account", and soon after I received two more emails telling me that "Question 115067643 has been closed".
The last two emails included the comment from "Our Support Team", "I have cancelled the scheduled product change to fibre optic services".
I've started looking at ZEN's offerings, though I might need to revise a number of YouTube videos which include my web URL.
2 REPLIES 2
gmqa
Dabbler

Re: Fibre phone flop

P.S. When I asked Plusnet whether they would provide a fibre service for my own equipment, I had to work out the answer for myself by cancelling a BT appointment that I had not asked for and an order for electronics that I had not made, and waiting to be told that a product change that I had not requested had been cancelled.
When I asked Zen the same question, their answer started, "The setup described would be fine for a 'Self Install' FTTC Service."
Once the connection was made I would need to complete some basic tests, and Zen would supply a VDSL Modem Router which I would need to carry out further tests if problems occurred and persisted. Using that usually drastically reduced "the likelihood of Chargeable Engineer visits".
As I myself built the three mid-tower computers that I am currently using, I think that I could probably cope with that.
gmqa
Dabbler

Re: Fibre phone flop

P.P.S. Today I received a large blue bag through the post addressed to "BT RETURNS". On it was printed a window headed "How to return your equipment", which instructed me to "Put your equipment in the bag and seal it . . . Take it to any Post Office and ensure you receive proof of posting, which you should keep."
If I receive any equipment, I doubt whether I shall do that, as I only telephoned Plusnet to ask whether they could provide a fibre service for my own installation. I most certainly did not order any BT equipment. I would hand it over if they wanted to collect it, or might drive to a post office if I were paid to do so.
I only have two outstanding  memories of BT service: my first ISP did not work properly, and BT said they could not help me because they bought in the service from elsewhere; and when my telephone stopped working, a BT "engineer" undid my wiring and did it up again, then found it still didn't work because the fault was with BT equipment below the public footpath.
I had to tell BT that I did not owe them the £50 they tried to charge me for the job.