cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre packages

tallstory
Dabbler

Fibre packages

Does anyone know why PN only supplies 80/20 Mbps and 40/2 Mbps fibre options? The former gives an upload/download ration of 4 to 1 and the latter only 20 to 1 - which seems an unbalance ratio. As I can get anywhere near 80 Mbps  Cry (getting 25 Mbps at the moment), I am reluctant to pay for Fibre Extra but a 40/10 Mbps package would give me much better upload speeds.
Won't PN reconsider and re-introduce a 40/10 option to its packages?
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre packages

No we don't and it has been discussed at length on here
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: tallstory
Does anyone know why PN only supplies 80/20 Mbps and 40/2 Mbps fibre options?

Probably to match what Talk-Talk offer.  Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tallstory
Dabbler

I see oldjim is living up to the grumpy old man image. I haven't seen the discussion about packages and would appreciate a link to an explanation why PN doesn't offer 40/10 Mbps. Is it designed to drive us into the arms of BT?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

would appreciate a link to an explanation why PN doesn't offer 40/10 Mbps.
Because they don't want to.
If you want we can provide a link to that discussion but you'll be disappointed. None of us know why they've made that decision. Only PN know the reasons and are clearly treating it as commercially sensitive information. How they run their business and what services they are offer are up to them. They don't have to offer explanations for anything they do. If we as customers don't like it our choice is to leave.
Although I should point out that existing customers are allowed to stay on legacy packages. PN still has some 40/20 and 40/10 customers - it's just not currently choosing to take on any more.
tallstory
Dabbler

Thanks Andrue
Sounds like a case of "you are the 100th person to ask that question - there just isn't the demand, you know".
w23
Pro

Or possibly:
"you are the 10000th person to ask that question - there just isn't the demand, you know".

But is really is a simple business / marketing / commercial descision, at the end of the day Plusnet have decided that this is the product mix they wish to offer and (potential) customers have a very simple choice.
The part that I find more difficult to fully understand is the refusal to offer the higher priced package so some customers based purely on downstream estimate even when those customers fully understand and accept that they may not get improved downstream speeds but are willing to pay extra for a better upstream. (Yes, I know the argument that some customers would complain if they paid for the higher package and got the lower package downstream speed but that's not relevant to the above.)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I can think of a very good reason why Plusnet will not offer an 80/20 package to people with a line unable to get anywhere near that speed.
The rule that 10% of customers on the 80Mbps package must be able to get 76Mbps. If Plusnet allowed slower line then that would make hitting that 10% harder if not impossible.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
w23
Pro

@georgelnx, that's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that one.
Call me 'w23'
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm lucky, I'm on a 40/20 package  Tongue
However I signed up back in 2014 when such package was around, hence I'm reluctant to renew my contract otherwise I'll be put on the lower upload speed.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
w23
Pro

I'm similarly blessed with 40/20 but I have renewed my contract, added Plusnet TV (and kept my 40/20)  Wink
I'd be somewhat upset if I ever had to downgrade to 40/2 (but I'd be pretty much OK with 40/10).
Maybe the 40/2 package is there to stop people like us leaving (because we'd never get anything like our current package if we returned)  Huh
Call me 'w23'
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I was also able to renew my contract and stay on 40/20 (I made it a condition of staying with PN). When my contract ends, and I look around for good deals, if 40/20, 40/10, or 80/20 is not an option for me I will change provider. There is not a chance I will go to a 2 Mbps upload speed - it just seems like a backwards step.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: w23
Maybe the 40/2 package is there to stop people like us leaving (because we'd never get anything like our current package if we returned)  Huh

I think so too.  I've been eyeing BT at the moment and seeing their unlimited 38mb is £10 a month for the duration of the contract in addition to line rental at £17.99 a month and I currently pay £14.99 for unlimited fibre in addition to £1 domain and then £16.99 line rental.  However I'm not tempted as I have no interest in BT sport and I have FON.  So I'll stick with Plusnet at the minute due to the better customer service and reliability  Roll_eyes
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
tallstory
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
But is really is a simple business / marketing / commercial descision, at the end of the day Plusnet have decided that this is the product mix they wish to offer and (potential) customers have a very simple choice.

Companies that don't listen to their customers don't usually survive for long. Would it really be too complicated to offer 3 packages, say 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20? The 40/10 could be priced between the other two quite easily.
PembsPanther
Grafter

I think the reasons are numerous but I would "guess" the top 2 are:
a/ outdated, inferior, badly supported and maintained network with lack of capacity, most people interested int he bottom line download speed even though half the time they will probably only ever use half of it's capability, hence huge download speed compared to pitiful upload speeds, easy trade in their eyes!
b/ Probably plans in the pipeline to address this in the future for the most demanding customers, I should imagine some kind of paid "uncap" or speed increase however if this is the plan then of course it will cost you.
The long term plan of any shareholder based company is to screw the customer for as much money as possible, in the interim there is usually a period of pain before they fantastically come along with a solution that will only cost you £xx.xx per month., Providers have been trying to find imaginative ways of screwing extra pundage out of us all since the mass rollout of broadband speed caps and data limits are just the obvious ones, expect more imaginative "tesco" style thinking to come along soon................