Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre or Fibre Extra or wait for Ultra?

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Fibre or Fibre Extra or wait for Ultra?

I’m on Fibre unlimited and considering Fibre Extra as it looks good and is only a few quid extra per month. 

Currently, I’m Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and Openreach now have just installed fibre to the top of the telegraph pole outside 🙂

Question 1. How much better (or faster)  than Fibre is Fibre Extra?

Question 2. Should I get locked into an 18-month contract, as Ultra look likely soon?

Question 3. If I go for Ultra (FTTP) (one day) do I have to keep my landline?

What would you do?

7 REPLIES 7
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Fibre or Fibre Extra or wait for Ultra?

Fix

@Leapy wrote:

I’m on Fibre unlimited and considering Fibre Extra as it looks good and is only a few quid extra per month. 

Currently, I’m Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) and Openreach now have just installed fibre to the top of the telegraph pole outside 🙂

Question 1. How much better (or faster)  than Fibre is Fibre Extra?

The Unlimited Fibre package is based on Openreach's 40/10 Mpbs offering and Fibre Extra the 80/20 Mbbps offering, so the later is potentially twice as fast depending on factors like line length from cab and condition etc.

Question 2. Should I get locked into an 18-month contract, as Ultra look likely soon?

I wouldn't personally considering Plusnet's FTTP trial ended some time ago and they still don't offer a commercial product, meaning taking up FTTP will require changing ISP

Question 3. If I go for Ultra (FTTP) (one day) do I have to keep my landline?

You didn't on Plusnet's trial, but I don't think that's necessarily the case for other ISPs.

What would you do?

Wait for FTTP to become available and move elsewhere
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

And as well as above, put your phone number into the DSL Checker, so see what is actually available to you.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@DaveyH  Thank You 🙂

@Mustrum  I looked at that (attached) link and see currently says  FTTP is not available at the bottom 😞

Screenshot 2019-09-08 at 11.28.57 PM.png

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah, so all those earlier questions are not really relevant.

You are already on the top rated service you can get, but the product names have probably changed since you took them out.

So maybe what you really want to know, is what new contract you can get for the same speeds you are currently on ?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum  I'm a bit  (well a lot) confused as (correct me if I'm wrong) but it does say FTTP is available on demand in the box and at the bottom say "FTTP is not available"! 

So as all the streets have been laid with fibre cables, and all the telegraph pole have new fibre  cables and new shiny black  fibre egg-box junction boxes on the top does that imply it is imminent?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

FTTP on Demand is a mainly commercial service that costs a lot and generally aimed for businesses.

What you are hoping to see is a WBC FTTP availability entry - meaning you may get Fibre to the premices.

So maybe at sometime in the future those egg boxes might get you FTTP,but not yet"

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum  I guess that is part of my confusion. 

Our streets are a very residential area (and the clusters of  formal shops and businesses were all done first a few weeks back) The Openreach guys talk as if the whole streets and surrounding  area will  all get Ultra FTTP.