Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre noob with a couple of questions

martin2006
Grafter

Fibre noob with a couple of questions

Hi All, it's been a while..
My exchange has just been enabled for Bt infinity and i am currently on a Plusnet unlimited broadband and phone package, ADSL2+ i believe, about 12Mb downloads if that helps.
I currently have a Netgear DGND3300v2 modem router which is dual band and i use it to connect to a Netgear WNCE3001 dual band wireless ethernet adapter that i use on the 5Ghz frequency connected to a switch downstairs which is connected to my sky, smart tv, xbox, Wii etc and all works a treat.
My question is, i understand when the installation takes place i will be supplied a modem and i can get a free router from plusnet but i was wondering if my current modem router would be totally redundant or whether i can continue to use it as just a router?
if i can't use my existing modem router, to keep the dual band function i currently use, I was considering buying either the Netgear WNDR3700 or R6250 routers or would i be better to buy a combined modem router if they exist?
Any help is much appreciated as i know very little about Fibre.
Thanks
27 REPLIES 27
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Fibre noob with a couple of questions

1. Welcome  in advance to fibre!
2. Yes, you will be able to use your existing router to extend your network.
3. If you use the supplied BTOR modem then I would strongly recommend buying your own router as the one PN supply isn't up to much.
4. I can't comment on your proposed choice of router as I'm an Asus user.
5. Yes, you can use a combined modem/ router which seems to be the preferred method for the experts on this forum. Personally I'm more than happy with my own setup.
6. Good luck! Smiley
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The Netgear DGND3300v2 does not appear to have support for an Ethernet WAN port.  Therefore it is not compatible with the Openreach supplied modem.
You could configure the Netgear as a dual band wireless access point (by disabling DHCP server) and wire it to the Plusnet TG582n router.
If you get an ECI openreach modem, you may encounter the issues experienced by other users in the short term. See the other threads regarding G.INP in this forum.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks very much for the replies, I'll put my order in and see if i can request the Plusnet modem.
Is there any favorites for the combined modem router, I do like Netgear though if it's possible as they work well with my Wireless ethernet adapter ?
thanks again, i have a feeling I may be a regular here  Smiley
darklight
Grafter

@spotter Think you need to read this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.msg284199.html#msg284199
If you want a combind modem/router think you need to pick between one of these
BT HomeHub 5 Type B  (BCM chipset & Software version V0.07.01.0235-BT)
Sky Hub SR102
Billion 8800NL
Billion 8800AXL
Zyxel VMG8324
To avoid problems which comes from having G.INP.
Personally i would go with a separate modem and router, if in the future u wanted to drop your plusnet session, or reboot you router with a separate router you wouldn't be affecting your sync with the street cabinet with a separate modem.
martin2006
Grafter

Thank you, I'll have a read, I'm away at the moment  so will have a good look when I'm home.
On another topic, my current master socket is by my front door and there is no 240v socket. I currently have an ADSL nation filtered face plate and run my phone and Ethernet cable up through a boxed in section, through the upstairs bathroom cupboard, up into the loft, across the loft and back down into my spare bedroom where my PC and modem router are along with my phone base station.
What are my options for fitting the fibre modem, can they fit it upstairs or should I try and move it downstairs where my sky box, Tv and Xbox are and then connect to my Pc upstairs by wireless.
To move it into the living room it would ideally need to be routed outside the front of the house
Many thanks
kitz
Aspiring Pro

You may also want to look here for a full list of combined VDSL modem/routers that is available for purchase in the UK.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
If you want future proof look for one that supports Vectoring.  For now I'd recommend one that at least supports G.INP if you want the best speeds. 
You may be provided with an ECI modem and atm these dont appear to be G.INP compatible.  Most of the G.INP routers are Broadcom based, but there are a couple of others such as Fritzbox and the Asus.
if in the future u wanted to drop your plusnet session, or reboot you router with a separate router you wouldn't be affecting your sync with the street cabinet with a separate modem.

With mine I can terminate my Plusnet session without having to drop sync.  I just click a button in the web gui, then click it again to reconnect & get a new session.  There are several other routers that do this too.
See screen cap below:
On the left side is PPP session -  showing Ive had my PN session 1hr: 52 mins and the PPP disconnect button.
On the right side is sync info - showing Ive been in sync for 9 days 2hrs.
That button is pretty handy atm when you have to go pipe hopping Wink
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Spotter

On another topic, my current master socket is by my front door and there is no 240v socket. I currently have an ADSL nation filtered face plate and run my phone and Ethernet cable up through a boxed in section, through the upstairs bathroom cupboard, up into the loft, across the loft and back down into my spare bedroom where my PC and modem router are along with my phone base station.
What are my options for fitting the fibre modem, can they fit it upstairs or should I try and move it downstairs where my sky box, Tv and Xbox are and then connect to my Pc upstairs by wireless.
To move it into the living room it would ideally need to be routed outside the front of the house
Many thanks

It totally depends who installs.  If its a contractor such as Kellys or Quinns then they will want to be in & out asap.    They are supposed to relocate if you dont have an electrical socket nearby and discuss the options with you...  but from personal experience they avoid doing a re-locate at all costs.  The contractor made a real pigs ear of mine - he even tried to nick my ADSLnation face plate...  and BT had to come out and sort it.    I had a similar set up as you except it didnt go via the loft as well...  mine came straight out from outside the bathroom and alongside the upstairs skirting to the PC room. 
Even BT wont go crawling up in the loft. Some wont use a ladder.  In the end BT moved mine by running about 5m of cable straight upside the outside wall and put a new master socket straight into the PC room.  I have DECT phones so I wasnt bothered about extensions.
However, theres no reason why you cant keep your existing set up if you like.  The ethernet cable from existing NTE means that you can keep things as they were and just fit the modem on the other end upstairs.  Your CAT5 cable should do just a good job as BT data cable.  What you dont want is the cheapy nasty thin extension cable running through your house.
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks very much, that's excellent information, I'll do some home work when I get back.
Regarding the Ethernet cable, I remember buying the best extension cable I could find so from memory I think it is good quality.
So when they visit they can just fit the new faceplate and I'll plug in the modem upstairs and then all I need tis to decide what to do regarding the router 
Thanks for all the replies people  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have the Ethernet cable wired to the AB terminals on the filtered face plate and then a data only socket to which you plug in the router without a filter? If so you are ready for fibre and the modem can be plugged in upstairs. You may get a replacement to the ADSL Nation with the latest BT filtered face plate that does exactly the same job.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gkf9
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
Quote from: Spotter

Many thanks

It totally depends who installs.   If its a contractor such as Kellys or Quinns then they will want to be in & out asap.    They are supposed to relocate if you dont have an electrical socket nearby and discuss the options with you...  but from personal experience they avoid doing a re-locate at all costs.  The contractor made a real pigs ear of mine - he even tried to nick my ADSLnation face plate...  and BT had to come out and sort it.    I had a similar set up as you except it didnt go via the loft as well...  mine came straight out from outside the bathroom and alongside the upstairs skirting to the PC room.  
Even BT wont go crawling up in the loft. Some wont use a ladder.   In the end BT moved mine by running about 5m of cable straight upside the outside wall and put a new master socket straight into the PC room.   I have DECT phones so I wasnt bothered about extensions.
However, theres no reason why you cant keep your existing set up if you like.   The ethernet cable from existing NTE means that you can keep things as they were and just fit the modem on the other end upstairs.   Your CAT5 cable should do just a good job as BT data cable.   What you dont want is the cheapy nasty thin extension cable running through your house.
What router do you use Kitz?
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I had a somewhat similar setup in that I didn't have power near my master socket (and the master socket was in a hallway where I didn't really want equipment). My ADSL ran over an existing extension wire that also had several other phone extensions coming from it.
Prior to the fibre install, I bought some good quality CAT6 cable and ran it from the master socket, under the floor, to the computer room (office). I just left both ends of the cable bare for the installer.
On installation day, the Kelly installer actually initially wanted to use the existing flat extension cable to carry the VDSL2 to the office? Why on earth I have no idea, I had done the hard work for him by running the CAT6 cable.
Anyway, he wired one of the pairs of the CAT6 cable into the AB terminals of the new MK3 faceplate. At the other end, he fitted another MK3 faceplate as the extension socket (which I thought was odd - why not just fit the RJ11 box that comes with a VDSL extension kit).
I later changed the extension MK3 box for a simple RJ11 faceplate as I didn't see the need for a second master socket connected.
I also bought a good quality twisted pair RJ11 to RJ11 cable to run from the socket to the modem (the one supplied is a flat cable).
It sounds like you are pretty well covered wiring wise, which should give you good options for equipment placement.
martin2006
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Do you have the Ethernet cable wired to the AB terminals on the filtered face plate and then a data only socket to which you plug in the router without a filter? If so you are ready for fibre and the modem can be plugged in upstairs. You may get a replacement to the ADSL Nation with the latest BT filtered face plate that does exactly the same job.

That's a good question, I don't know what the AB terminals are, I have the filtered face plate on the following link and i also checked what was written on the extension cable that runs upstairs which can be seen on the attached, does that tell you anything ? I just removed the filtered face plate and there aren't any wires actually connected to the blue or white terminals, it just plugs into the master socket.
BT fitted a new master socket a few years back when i had a faulty wire somewhere up the road but left me with my ADSL nation filtered faceplate which has been problem free for years.
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/electronics/telecoms-dsl/xte-2005-master-faceplate.html
darklight
Grafter

@jafreer  hey does it really make much of a difference using a good quality RJ11 to RJ11 cable like the Belkin 1.8m High-Speed RJ11 Internet Modem Cable, than a standed one that you get with that open reach modem?
I can't really see me getting anything more out of my speed i have now

since i changed to a HUAWEI HG612 unlocked.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@ darklight - the shorts answer is, I can't be sure it makes a difference! But here is my thinking...
Flat cables are more prone to noise pickup than twisted pair cables. Given that, for a small extra cost (few pounds), why take the risk. That is for the RJ11 to RJ11 (wall socket to modem). The same thinking applies for the VDSL extension cable (master socket to extension socket). Since it is only going to be installed once (and mine was a pain to route under the floor), I thought I may as well use a good cable. Does it make a difference? Not sure, but again, why take the chance.
A lot of people try and squeeze every last ounce out of their connection by buying different modem/routers, ones with matching modem chipsets, ones with better wireless etc. All valid, but get everything on the connection/wiring side good first.
If you are already near the top end of the advertised product (e.g. 80/20), and you have SNR to spare, then things like changing the cables may not make a difference. Likewise, if your cabling is routed such that there isn't much noise pickup already, then changing cable won't make much of a difference. But since it is hard to determine whether these things will help or not, it is fair to say they shouldn't do any harm, and just might make it better.
I paid around 10 pounds for good quality CAT6 cable for my extension, and bought the Belkin RJ11 to RJ11 off ebay, total cost under 15 pounds.
I have seen some people on the forums stating they got a reasonable improvement by changing the RJ11 cable for a twisted pair one. So it is worth a punt.