cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre much slower than predicted

Aeia

Fibre much slower than predicted

Before I raise another fault anyone else had much slower speeds than expected? We've had BT Openzone out several times and they find no fault. We're currently on the Extra package but apart from the faster upload speed which is useful as I work from home we may as well downgrade as we get around 31Mb up and 8Mb down. The estimates are 68.8 to 80 on a clean line and 44.1 to 76.4 on an impacted line. When we had the "special faults engineer" all he seemed to say is it's probably due to our line length and possibly aluminium cable. We left it again for now well over the 10 days and it's down to 30meg 😒

7 REPLIES 7
scottymc
Grafter

Re: Fibre much slower than predicted

Hi mate
The thing is if you re-grade to the lower package your upload will go down to 2meg.....
I thought the estimated speed bt gives you IS based on your line length so by rights you should be getting those speeds ?
Keep reporting the fault until you get the right speeds..
Or an explanation to why your estimate's are so far out.
Hope this gets sorted for you.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If you have aluminium cabling then that is the issue. It isn't as good at transmitting the signals used by all types of broadband as copper is. It is also more prone to chemical reactions with moisture reducing the signals further. 

And Openreach are not going to replace it as it is good enough for the transmission of phone signals which is all they are legally obliged to supply. 

Just Google "issues with aluminum BT phone cables" to hear the bad news.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How are you testing, wired or wireless, what with, what are you router stats/sync speeds, what else, and how are you connected internally?

without some basic information, it is hard to suggest what to do next.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi there @Aeia,

At the moment it'd be good to hear your response to @Mustrum's questions so we can take a look.

How are you testing, wired or wireless, what with, what are you router stats/sync speeds, what else, and how are you connected internally?

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Aeia

Now connected via data socket on master socket as last Openreach engineer put a filter plate onto our master socket. Tested wired and from test socket in the past. Router currently reporting speeds below. Last Openreach engineer said it was probably distance from cabinet but our estimated speed for our phone line is much higher which I thought took that into account. I think he said his test kit said 900m from Cab.

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 11:41:05
Downstream: 30.28 Mbps
Upstream: 7.87 Mbps
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

If your BT estimate is indeed 68Mb+ on the clean then you are not at 900m that's more inline with 500-450 range, now you could be on a Ali line i am myself on one and know first hand just how poor they can be i've lost around 20Mb due to a combination of crosstalk and a 40yr+ old decaying ali line, they do perform worse than copper lines but that said unless it's in a very dire state you should still be capable of more than your getting. 

my guess would be the Engineer knew it would be more work and couldn't be bothered dealing with so said you were 900m away, 30Mb or so is around the speed you would normally see for that length and such fobbed you off, I would raise a fault and hopefully this time get one that can sort it out for you.  

Aeia

Thanks all, Openreach were outside today up the pole fixing another fault so I cornered them. In fact one of the engineers was one who has already been out. They said we're only about 600m from the cabinet which knowing where it is is most likely. There is however definitely aluminium cable on our run. I'm going to raise it again and see if we get anywhere even if its just confirmation that it's distance or poor cables is why we get slow speeds. I don't particularly want to drop down to the slower package because the faster upload is helpful when working from home.