Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre modem/router for multiple static IP addresses

Dezz
Dabbler

Fibre modem/router for multiple static IP addresses

Hi all,
Can anyone please recommend a single modem/router which will support a package with 2 external static IP addresses to work with a Pfsense firewall? Idea is that the modem gets the first static IP via PPoE dialup to Plusnet and then use the 2nd on the firewall. This will be it's only function, so not too worried about lots of other features or wireless etc. Am currently thinking of a Billion, but would be keen to hear of anyone using this config currently which works.
Many thanks, Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Fibre modem/router for multiple static IP addresses

The standard PN TG582n can be configured for multiple IP's if you are up for a challenge http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108305.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are you on a residential or business connection? If the former, are you on a legacy account that provides a block of IP addresses? New residential accounts don't have this option
It would be good to know what you're trying to achieve a well as it doesn't sound like you need multiple addresses so far...
Dezz
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.
This is on a business connection with 4 IPs (2 usable). We already have the BT modem and router acting in a kind of bridge mode, which works with Pfsense configured on the other address. We have also been experiencing some odd issues since moving from Plusnet ADSL > fibre which we cannot find any logical explanation for. Our Technical Director is convinced these issues are to do with the new kit and wants the boxes swapped out as we also plan to convert another 2 lines to fibre and reduce the clutter of 6 boxes to 3. We would also have more control over the modem part of the connection to some extent.
I have tried configuring PPPoE on Pfsense doing the PPPoE dialup through the BT modem directly and we came across an issue with Pfsense and multi-WAN not working properly in this configuration with the existing ADSL lines. We also have multiple VPN tunnels using the 2nd static.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Sorry, I hadn't appreciated that you were looking for a single box, must read more thoroughly before replying.
We do something similar to what you are looking at in our office but that's on ADSL using a 2700hgv, AKA BT business hub. It does look like the Billion might do what you want but it's not something that I've done http://billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JasonMassey
Grafter

Hi,
I don't know what a pfsense firewall is, however a Vigor 2860 series router/modem will handle multiple IP's.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860
These routers are business class routers, do pretty much anything you want and very stable with UK VDSL network.  Good support from Draytek also.
Dezz
Dabbler

Pfsense is just a Linux based firewall running on hardware, essentially the same as a hardware firewall but due to its quirks I was trying to find someone who had managed to get it working stable with an all in one solution Smiley
I've used a few of those Draytek's Jason, good boxes and feature rich, but they are a bit pricey for what we need which is essentially just a PPPoE dialup. I think I need to plump for one of the Billions and see how I get on.