Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre line speed slower than expected

Scottland
Dabbler

Fibre line speed slower than expected

Hi,

I recently moved into a property and had slower speeds than expected - had an OR engineer visit who replaced the old dodgy LJU socket that wasn't attached to the wall. He basically advised that the line speed was 'correct' for line length from the cab of 400m (attenuation 15dB).  But based on my previous experience, and reading around I'm still sure the speed should be more in the middle of the estimated speed from the dslchecker site.

For reference, the min/max speeds from dslchecker were between 54 and 73 with a handback threshold of 47.6. I'm currently sync'd at 47.7...

9 REPLIES 9
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre line speed slower than expected

If your estimate for your line is 54-73Mb and your syncing at 47Mb then your under that and you have grounds for an engineer visit to get you within the limit, I would report this as a fault or wait for one of the forum staff to see this and get things rolling for you.

Also I wouldn't take the word of one engineer as gospel sadly there are plenty of them that will say anything to not do the work required looks like you got one said engineer hopefully the next one will be more willing to do what is needed.  

Scottland
Dabbler

Plusnet themselves said to me when I spoke to them that I'm above the minimum (the downstream handback threshold), albeit by 100kbit (47.7 vs 47.6)

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I would question that with support, I thought they work to the clean minimum as the lowest acceptable speed. The handback threshold is a lower level that if openreach can not attain you can refuse the service, not that that helps you in any way. I would still try and raise a speed fault, your speed is poor and the attenuation looks high for 400m. I reckon my line is about 350m and my attenuation is 12.2dB and I get full 80Mbps sync.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I reckon my line is about 350m and my attenuation is 12.2dB and I get full 80Mbps sync.

A GEA test puts my line length at 283m with an attenuation of 11.5dB with full sync so pretty close to yours!

@Scottland can you screenshot the results of the BT Checker and your router stats please?

ETA edit out any personal details

Scottland
Dabbler

Here you go:

Checker: 
http://i.imgur.com/ggxMhSU.png

Router Stats:
http://i.imgur.com/FDvmoHyh.png

Scottland
Dabbler

Line speed has now dropped below the threshold at 47.3 - so will call support and see if they can get OR to do anything.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Whilst the sync speed is above the MGALS [Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed], it's below the estimates so we'll be happy to arrange another engineer visit to further investigate.

Our faults team should be in touch via this ticket within 72 hours.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Scottland
Dabbler

Well it appears the person who looked at the ticked didn't agree and told me the issue was resolved when it clearly isn't.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'll update the ticket shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team