cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre limited speed limited to 30Mbps on 80/20 package

Aeneas

Fibre limited speed limited to 30Mbps on 80/20 package

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me out. I am a new Plusnet user, and now after going through the 10 day period and providing accessory time for line stabilisation the connection is limited to a consistent 30mbps. Minimum guaranteed speeds were in excess of 50Mbps. I have tried two routers - the one provided by Plusnet and another additional ASUS one.

I have attached the speed test from BT wholesale speed checker. Below are select results from the router.

Line state: Connected

Connection time: 10 days, 08:18:13

Downstream: 68.2 Mbps

Upstream: 18.29 Mbps

5. DSL uptime: 10 days, 07:32:55

6. Data rate: 18288 / 68198

7. Maximum data rate: 18296 / 67969

8. Noise margin: 6.4 / 5.6

9. Line attenuation: 18.7 / 16.3

10. Signal attenuation: 18.5 / 16.4

3 REPLIES 3
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre limited speed limited to 30Mbps on 80/20 package

Hi welcome to the forums just so your aware there is no 10 day period that's a lie fibre goes as fast as your line can handle from day one.

your BTW Profile shows that your sync to the Cab is at 66Mb as does your Router stats which is as it should be so there is no line issue.

the speed test provided by BTW is not reliable it hasn't given a proper result in a while now Plusnet were in talks with BTW to get something done about it but it's gone pretty quiet on that front.

try this speed test instead see if you get the same result https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

the issue also could be that the profile is not set correctly on Plusnets end which is not uncommon

have a look here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

the Current speed should say the same as the BTW profile ie 66Mb if it's lower than that then Plusnet need to adjust it to match.

also I ask are the tests you did via wi-fi or Ethernet cable, if it's wi-fi then try via Ethernet cable instead see if you get better results, Wi-fi isn't a good indication for speed tests it's too unreliable due to interference of the wi-fi signal that can give slower speeds. 

Aeneas

Hi Terranova667, thank you for the prompt response. The profile is 66Mb indeed. I have attached the speed test below.

The speed test is from a laptop connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable. It's the same result, and this seems to be replicated by all tested speed test providers (although the upload speeds fluctuate).

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The only thing i can think of that would cause such a drop in throughput would be congestion on the fibre cab there have been a few cases on the forums lately of this happening, it's one for Plusnet to help with, hopefully someone from the Plusnet forum support will see this and help you out with it.