Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre keeps dropping out and varied speeds

akeegan90
Grafter

Fibre keeps dropping out and varied speeds

Hi,

My new line was installed just over 2 weeks ago and is dropping out fairly regularly, I have checked my router settings and ensured all firmware is up to date (I'm running an asus dsl-n16), which is the same router I use at my previous address without any issues.

Note: it isn't just wifi cutting out as I have had it drop out on me whilst using a hard wired games console, it is the actual fibre service cutting out!

I'm also seeing quite regular spikes in speeds whilst checking periodically (i understand bandwidth to be limited at peak times which would be exacerbated due to covid) but i am starting to worry there may be an issue with my line.

Could anyone run a check on my line? I tried to do a line test using the bt wholesale website but it will not complete as it says my number is not recognised as a bt line, despite me having a bt openreach symbol on my master socket (which was added on the new line installation)
10 REPLIES 10
ecrTech
Grafter

Re: Fibre keeps dropping out and varied speeds

akeegan90
Grafter

Yeah that's the one, the other one worked and claimed I could get faster fibre with Plusnet but they told me the fastest they could offer me is what I'm currently on.

Still doesn't help my connection keep dropping, it was just a check out of curiosity if anything!
akeegan90
Grafter

To add insult to injury, I very rarely see my speeds upward of my "minimum guaranteed speed".

I check it reasonably frequently due to the connection dropping out, its frustrating because before I moved home i had between 50-60mbps download on fibre extra, now I've been told I can only have standard fibre. I'm slightly further from my cabinet at the new address but nothing that would cause an issue, I have friends who live on the same street, one side if me has sky fibre max and pulls in 80/90mbps and the other side of me has bt superfast pulling just over 100mbps and I'm stuck in the middle only achieving 14mbps!!
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Put your landline number here http://broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com and post up the results (redacting your number from the screenshot)

This will tell you how fast your line can go. 

Also try plugging your router into the test socket https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Finally post up your router stats

It may also be worth raising a fault ticket at faults.plus.net

akeegan90
Grafter

I have tried that site but get the following error message:

"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line"

I don't think I can plug directly into the master test socket any more as openreach have put in a "master socket 5c mk4" and it doesn't look like a standard rj11 port?
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Are you using the right number? If you’ve got a handset, dial 17070 to find out your landline number 

To plug into the test socket you can unclip the 5C faceplate and in the centre you’ll see another socket to plug a microfilter in (router goes into the filter)

akeegan90
Grafter

Yes I'm using the correct phone number.

For some reason I can't see anywhere to upload the pic but the results were as follows (tests were done on wifi in the exact same location the same distance from router and were taken seconds apart as soon as the connection picked back up):

Plugged in as standard = 18.35mbps
Plugged into the master = 17.75mbps

Unsure as to why the master was slower in honesty but the connection jumps all over the place. It's actually sat reasonably high right now which doesn't help my argument but typically it is much lower.
akeegan90
Grafter

I've just done another speed test and got 2.31mbps down and 0.2mbps up, I do have screenshots to back this up if I could upload
akeegan90
Grafter

Had another drop out at 10pm tonight, tested once it came back up and download was still under my minimum guaranteed speed! :@
akeegan90
Grafter

I don't have my router log running constantly but upon checking it, since 05-02-2021 @ 17:24:39 I had link control protocol down error message 16 times until now which pretty much confirms to me that even that I don't know about, the connection is all over the place.

Secondly my line attenuation down is 21.1db downstream which isn't a massive concern but upstream it's at 57.2db which is much higher than I would expect to see.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do? This forum is a little quiet! I've raised a fault at faults.plus.net and not heard anything as yet, contemplating raising another!