Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre keeps diconnecting

firecloud
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fibre keeps diconnecting

Hi,

Has anyone had the above problem with their connection dropping.

This is the wired connection that is causing the problem.

Router is plugged into master socket with the modern faceplate.

At supports request I have removed the faceplate and plugged directly into the plug behind faceplace via a microfilter.

But the problem still persists.

I have their latest router.

15 REPLIES 15
ChrisSerella
Hooked

Re: Fibre keeps diconnecting

This isn't the reason i joined but yes.

The last three days:

first night fibre apparently the broadband was out for a couple of hours after midnight.

Yesterday about 10pm the router appeared to cycle itself twice for what i can see as no apparent reason.

About an hour or so ago i cycled the router a couple of times to ensure some changes i made were activated (got my own issues here). 30 minutes ago or there about the router just cycled itself and still i don't know why.

This is a new service (home move) so it could be related but i don't see why it would be when you are told not to turn off the router for the first 10 days.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

I had the same a couple of months back. Plusnet did send a replacement Hub1 Router, which has reduced the occurrence but I still get intermittant loss of connection.

Look at The Hub1 LEDs you will probably see the Internet One has gone out (third from Left). Power the router off for 5 secs or so and then reconnect. After the usual power up delay everything should be OK for a while. Seems strange that it should happen with modern electronics, but that seems to be the case. Don't think Plusnet are that worried these days, far to interested in attracting new customers instead of supporting older ones. Think I'll be looking elsewhere when I next change, as I feel they've gone downhill over the last couple of years

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,

@firecloud

Sorry too see this is an ongoing problem. Diagnostics haven't shown anything obvious but can you make sure the troubleshooting steps here are ruled out next? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ let us know when you have.

@ChrisSerella

I can see we've been monitoring to see if the connection has restabilised, it looks like that isn't the case so I'll make sure you get an update to the fault ticket ASAP.

@dougjbarnes1

Have you been able to try another router just to make sure that's been 100% ruled out?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
firecloud
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

No I haven`t another router to try.

It has been plugged direct into master socket for 2 days(front cover removed) and has seemed to stabiised a little.

I have now reverted to plugging in to master (cover on) to see if that is back to normal.

I did have a gigabyte  switch transformer pack upa couple of days before Christmas, now replaced with new switch. So not sure if that has damaged anything. 

ChrisSerella
Hooked

Hi adam, thanks for the reply I wasn't looking for an update just yet I was just adding a comment that the hub one we have seems to cycle itself sometimes. I'm aware that a line connection takes 10 days to be sure of stability and as we only got our fault fixed on the 30th (move was requested weeks before) I do understand that there may be some problems.

It does appear that the router is syncing at about half the speed estimated, hopefully that will correct itself in due course. I've no issues here otherwise, i had what i thought was a port closed issue and was going to post on that but found the problem was elsewhere so all is good.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Hi Adam

Yes I have tried another router, Plusnet sent me a replacement Hub1 a couple of months back. Swapped over and initially all seemed good, but then the occasional "Dead Internet" started again. 

I've found, as in my reply that prompted your interest, that it seems to be a Hub1 issue, the "Internet" LED goes off, but the first three LEDs on the BT modem are still alive. The WIFI works OK for my Internal Network, Laptops can talk to main Desktop OK, it's just that there's no Internet available. Power The Hub1 down & then up again and everything returns to normal.

As an aside, or possibly associated, had a funny on 01/01/2017 where ALL Wifi Connections reported "Net::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID and Your Connection is Not Private". Found that restarting the Laptops didn't help, BUT powering down the Hub1 and then power up solved the issue, but as all the time the main Ethernet connection (router to Desktop PC) was OK suggested it was something in the WiFi side of the router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@dougjbarnes1 if you have a Hub 1 you don't need to use a BT modem, and you will get more useful diagnostics from the Hub 1 log,

However saying the Internet light is the 3rd one along suggests that you have the Sagem 2704n, you can see pics of the routers here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Hi 

You are correct, it's the Sagem router I've got, having compared your pictures, but I'm sure when I spoke with Plusnet some months back I was told I had a "Hub 1" and I'd never questioned that statement since

ChrisSerella
Hooked

If i am not mistaken, the original was the technicolor followed by the sagem (hub zero) and now onto the Hub one.

I've not had a zero. I have a technicolor & fibre modem and a hub one.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Anoush posted a list of Plusnet supplied routers here.

ChrisSerella
Hooked

Thank you that clarifies things. My first PN router was the technicolor never had a thomson one and as i suspected the sagem one is indeed the one that was referred to on a review site as the "Hub zero".

I have to be honest I would have preferred that to the Hub One (for looks and positioning only i actually like the GUI of the hub one. much better than the one to be found in the technicolor router).

I find it remarkably annoying that the hub one as feet on it. no apparent way to wall mount it.

With the techni and the sagem they can be wall mounted but being a fibre connection i also has to mount the modem which was no big deal, just had to do some spaghetti management :D. The hub zero(sagem) actually has better port positioning and it was something i thought useful. With the ports plate of this Hub One I would need to make some sort of spacing behind it to allow for the cable lay. Very odd but as they expect most people to use them standing near the master its no wonder.

I might have to look into a new router that supports dual band wireless, Gb lan and lots of other nice features. I really dont care what it looks like.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Just to confirm, both the Hub Zero and Hub One are manufactured by Sagemcom. Both also have pink feet.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

From what I've gathered in this discussion chain, I DON'T have a HUB1 but a Sagemcom 2704N and a BT OpenReach Link between the incoming Phone Line and the Red Port [1] on the Sagemcom 2704N modem.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Yeah, it sounds like the Sagemcom you have is the 2704N as the Hub One doesn't have any green lights. There's essentially a solid bar across the front that changes colour from orange to blue, depending on the state.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button