cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installed today and only 1 megaBIT improvement....

janemenniss

Fibre installed today and only 1 megaBIT improvement....

I had fibre installed today and I was all excited to finally get fast internet but I have run speed tests and I have literally gone up 1 megabit a second. That's not one megabyte, one megabit. Which is 125 kilobytes a second  (nothing). The only thing that has improved is my upload speed which I couldn't care less about. I'm getting 18 megabit a second down and 18 up. When I run a test it goes up to around 26mb/s then drops down to 18 and sits there. Almost as if it's being capped... Sorry if I'm a bit blunt but I just would like to know if there's something wrong or if I'm really paying an extra 10 pounds a month for a one megabit a second download speed improvement.
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fibre installed today and only 1 megaBIT improvement....

Run a BT diagnostic speedtest to find your IP profile. Then check if the current line speed shown here matches. There's often a delay in the current line speed being set appropriately.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
janemenniss

Thanks for the reply. Here are the test results. These results say I am getting 48MB/s which I am not.
Right click and open image in new tab if it's too small.
janemenniss

Quote from: spoon
Run a BT diagnostic speedtest to find your IP profile. Then check if the current line speed shown here matches. There's often a delay in the current line speed being set appropriately.

Thanks for the reply. Here are the test results. These results say I am getting 48MB/s which I am not.
Right click and open image in new tab if it's too small.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: janemenniss
These results say I am getting 48MB/s which I am not.
Well, you are. That's what the test says(*). The machine you ran that test on downloaded data at 48Mb/s. However it does show that it thinks you ought to be getting 77Mb/s so something is a bit off.
How are you performing the tests - wired or wireless?
And..you've missed a step. You were also asked to post your line speed by clicking a link. It will probably say 77.4Mb/s but it'd be good to know.
(*)Although the test uses the correct nomenclature which is 48Mbps. 48MB/s would be something else entirely Wink
janemenniss

Oh yeah I forgot, current line speed is 21.8 Mb according to plusnet. Also I meant megabits when I put 48MB/s haha. I am testing from a PC wired to the router which is downstairs. I don't understand why BT test says 48 Megabits a second, every online speed test tells me I'm getting 18-20 megabits per second and plusnet is telling me I should only be getting 21.8 megabit. The part that is confusing me the most is where did 48 megabits come from?
dick:quote
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: janemenniss
Oh yeah I forgot, current line speed is 21.8 Mb according to plusnet.
Ah. Did you migrate over from PlusNet ADSL to PlusNet fibre? It's beginning to sound like the classic mismatched profile problem. PN maintain their own profile for each connection and sometimes they forget to update their profile when someone migrates (or as the other poster wrote perhaps there's a delay).
The BT speed test does seem weird - it's not normally that wrong but I'm not shocked if it is. With everything else reporting 20Mb/s it tends to confirm that it's a profile issue and the BT test is just screwy.
Anyway give 'em a call or use the online chat tomorrow and they should be able to sort it out.
janemenniss

Quote from: Andrue
Ah. Did you migrate over from PlusNet ADSL to PlusNet fibre? It's beginning to sound like the classic mismatched profile problem. PN maintain their own profile for each connection and sometimes they forget to update their profile when someone migrates (or as the other poster wrote perhaps there's a delay).
The BT speed test does seem weird - it's not normally that wrong but I'm not shocked if it is. With everything else reporting 20Mb/s it tends to confirm that it's a profile issue and the BT test is just screwy.
Anyway give 'em a call or use the online chat tomorrow and they should be able to sort it out.

Yeah I did migrate from ADSL to fibre. I am hoping there is indeed a profile issue, which I feel it may be as it seems as if my speed is being capped when I watch the speedtests, and that it can be sorted out as I am not happy paying an extra tenner a month and having to call in sick TWICE because the first time Open reach didn't even bother to turn up for 1-2 megabit a second difference in download speed which is virtually nothing, as you know. I will have to message them from my work tomorrow and see what they say. I will be very upset if I am just stuck with this speed and I had all this hassle and build up for nothing. Thanks for your help.
janemenniss

Sorry to double post but I did another one of the BT tests where you have to put your router username as speedtest@speedtest_domain that uses a 77MB/s IP profile and I got 71MB/s so I am pretty sure that my IP line profile needs to be changed like Andrue said. Is it possible for a member of staff to do this for me? I remember having it done before when my speed dropped when I was on ADSL. Thanks

ISSUE RESOLVED! I talked to the support live chat today and told them I needed my IP line profile changed and they did it for me instantly, although not before I had to deal with some complete idiot, previously to the person who sorted it out, who was trying to say that I was not who I said I was and refused to help me even though I knew the Fing password to my own account etc. I won't name any names though but the guy shouldn't be working on a support team.