cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installed today... Really slow speeds, normal?

Kiritpatel
Dabbler

Fibre installed today... Really slow speeds, normal?

I finally took the leap and joined plusnet after being stuck with BT broadband who promised me minimum 10mb and on most days they were giving 1mb. After a year of calling BT every 2 weeks  and BT refusing to offer me a refund or resolve the slow speed, I decided to leave BT and upgrade to fibre with plusnet (for the same price I was paying BT directly for the 1mb broadband).
Anyway i had the engineer come today and installed new Master socket etc and connected up my router and modem. I signed up fibre unlimited extra. The engineer stated my property is not far from the outside box therefore I should get max speeds. My initial speed test was 79Mbps! This is a huge improvement from 1Mbps I was getting with BT broadband. I performed 2nd speed test and this came up as 97Mbps. At this point I'm over joyed. But... Some hours later I tried showing my friend my new speed but the speed test was only coming back at 17Mbps. I performed several tests but they are all on average 17mbps.
I don't want to sound ungrateful because it's more  then what I was getting with BT, and I understand speeds will go up and down for the first 10 days after instal  but from 97Mbps to 17Mbps?! Is that normal?  Embarrassed
9 REPLIES 9
Kiritpatel
Dabbler

Re: Fibre installed today... Really slow speeds, normal?

I just checked my sync speed on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and the results are attached. 21mbps is my
Sync speed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It means that Plusnet received a radius report which gave the ADSL speed
You could try Chat or wait for it to be picked up here
Kiritpatel
Dabbler

Forgot to mention my speed this evening is 5mbps.
I didn't want to contact plusnet if this is normal, but im guessing the speed is not meant to drop that much, so i will need to contact them tomorrow.
Kiritpatel
Dabbler

Last speedtest completed:
mlmclaren
Grafter

I wonder if this is exchange congestion...
PS. If your trying to avoid congestion/speed related issues on a BT connection it probably wasn't the best idea to go to BT's side kick project...
Sorry to break this news But Plusnet uses the same connections as BT... it only splits when it reaches London...
It looks like you might be suffering with exchange congestion which will affect anything using BT's networking equipment, the only ISP's avoiding that would be ones using there own equipment at the exchange such as Sky, TalkTalk......
I could be wrong though, and you could have a line fault of some sort, or it could be something to do with issues on Plusnet's network, there is many possibilities.
Starmans
Grafter

I did read the initial post and I didn't see if mentioned but you've done the speed test but was that completed via a wired Ethernet connection not over Wi-FI?
Kiritpatel
Dabbler

My internet with BT was just standard broadband, when i signed up to plusnet the guy who took the order said my line was capable of the highest speed, upto 80mbps and said there wouldnt be any problems proving me with that speed.
Quote from: The
I wonder if this is exchange congestion...
PS. If your trying to avoid congestion/speed related issues on a BT connection it probably wasn't the best idea to go to BT's side kick project...
Sorry to break this news But Plusnet uses the same connections as BT... it only splits when it reaches London...
It looks like you might be suffering with exchange congestion which will affect anything using BT's networking equipment, the only ISP's avoiding that would be ones using there own equipment at the exchange such as Sky, TalkTalk......
I could be wrong though, and you could have a line fault of some sort, or it could be something to do with issues on Plusnet's network, there is many possibilities.
Kiritpatel
Dabbler

I tried both wired and wireless speedtest, both coming back with same speed.
Quote from: Starmans
I did read the initial post and I didn't see if mentioned but you've done the speed test but was that completed via a wired Ethernet connection not over Wi-FI?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Kiritpatel
My internet with BT was just standard broadband, when i signed up to plusnet the guy who took the order said my line was capable of the highest speed, upto 80mbps and said there wouldnt be any problems proving me with that speed.

Whether or not your Broadband with BT was Standard or Fibre, they both use the same equipment at the exchange, the only difference is the link between you and the exchange.