cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installation

williamvicary
Dabbler

Fibre installation

A little background, we had a fibre order which required a telephone line install. Initially a Kelly Comms engineer came out and pushed the job back to Openreach, a Openreach engineer then came out later that day and again this morning and has installed our telephone line. We can now make and receive calls on our telephone line without issue.

However, when the Kelly Comms engineer set the job to "didn't complete" or whatever, they also caused Plusnet to assumedly trigger a hold on the order and upon speaking with Plusnet support again today they are saying we need a further Openreach engineer visit (in 7 days time!) to do the "install".

The engineer I spoke with today says all that needs to happen for the VDSL installation to be complete is for the routing of the VDSL line to go to the correct cabinet (as it was requested to the incorrect one) at the exchange/with BT/Plusnet (not sure which).

Plusnet support are adamant this needs to go back to an engineer visit but I was assured this wasn't needed by the engineer that visited today and I really don't want to need to take a further day off work to see an engineer that will just tell me "it's all installed" and finalise the setup at the exchange/cabinet - is there any way to get this escalated? I presume we're stuck in a "This is the only button we have to press" mode with Plusnet. If we can make and receive calls on our new telephone number then an engineer visit to "install the phone line" obviously isn't needed....

15 REPLIES 15
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Fibre installation

If there is a cabinet routing problem you could be in trouble, these can really screw up BT's systems so I wish you luck. Hopefully a PlusNet staff member will spot this thread and find out what is going on. Smiley

williamvicary
Dabbler

That was my fear - doesn't quite follow the process that I'm sure the system workflows are built for. Essentially the Plusnet order was for a cabinet 2.2km away so he installed the line to one that was 0.9km's away. He explained that his notes gave details of what needs to happen ("which buttons need to be pressed" he said) and that I should call Plusnet to get them to speak with BT Openreach. The call I had with Plusnet didn't seem to really get anywhere, I've replied to the support response on their system (which suggests it'll "need another engineer visit which is now booked for the 11-08-17") - I'm hoping this very pointless visit (and 7 day wait) isn't going to be needed - currently stuck on 0.7mb ADSL and could really do with the Fibre install speed!

williamvicary
Dabbler

Update on this, just spoke to support. They've closed down the job for the phone line and apparently the "narrow bands team" need to do some work at the exchange before I can go live with the Fibre. This is now delayed until the 11th (ironically the same timeframe for an entire new phone line install that they had pencilled in), a request "can this happen any sooner" was unfortunately a "no".

I presume the work at the exchange is a 5 minute job but due to the deadline being set for the phone line install initially I've now no choice but to wait until the 11th for the work to be completed. I guess I'm stuck on the 0.7mb ADSL for the next few days!

Frustrating!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I have just contacted our suppliers about this.

I've been advised that the fibre work is complete. Since line tests are showing the phone line to be working and you're able to use the service, they've agreed to expedite and complete the phone order, which should happen tomorrow.

Once that's done, your fibre order should complete the same day and your account activates automatically.

Can you let us know if you're able to connect by Thursday?

Cheers,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
williamvicary
Dabbler

Thank you! I'll confirm if/when we get the Fibre connected.

williamvicary
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks again for expediting this, I had the SMS yesterday and email notifications to say that my phone line has successfully been installed but I've yet to see anything with regard to the VDSL connection. And when I checked before I left this morning the router was still flashing orange - do you think this will still happen today as expected?

Cheers

Will

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Will,

Our suppliers confirmed to me the fibre order is complete in the Openreach applications but not in theirs as it was stuck within their systems. They've progressed this manually and it should complete by tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
williamvicary
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf - the order proceeded and I received the Fibre complete notification this morning. Unfortunately, this hasn't enabled the Fibre, as I expected the PCP 22 cabinet was not setup at the exchange to receive the broadband and instead PCP 6 was wired up to do so. I've been advised by the BT engineer that plusnet have advised that they cannot move the PCP routing and instead the order needs to be ceased and re-created to the correct cabinet.

Any chance this can be expedited? It's been 4 weeks since we placed our order...

williamvicary
Dabbler

Apparently, Monday 14th now until the order is progressed with "No guarantees" from the support team.

Given I raised this on the 4th and flagged exactly what the engineer had told me, for this to now be the same issue that was flagged multiple times and fell on deaf ears with the support team is hugely frustrating. I appreciate you're only going on what the BT engineers advise this is still a huge irritation.

The page: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Shows: Current line speed: 37 Mb - would this not mean that it is working?! (I'm not home to check)

The original engineers' notes, made on the 4th (and shared by Support) are as follows:
I have carried out three spans from EU back to DP50, then carried out pair divert through 5 joints back to PCP22. The routing has been updated via routing solutions. The EU is expecting fibre to the cab. This will now run from PCP22 and NOTPCP6. This is too far from PCP6 for it to work. PCP22 is afibre to the cabinet ready PCP and so the fibre jumpers canrun from there.The routing is as follows:- MDF R262 PCP6 E462 D408 PCP22 E308 D374 DP50 pr8.The EU is expecting fibre broadband. I have explained to him that this will now have to be built from PCP22.

This is effectively exactly what I've now been told, 7 days later and now the order needs to be re-created?! Madness.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like our suppliers completed the fibre order before the work was actually completed. At the time of contacting them I was assured that the work was complete. Sad

Apologies for the inconvenience caused, can you let us know what happens by Monday?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
williamvicary
Dabbler

I'm still without the broadband. I called support yesterday who very quickly turned around and suggested that "BT's systems are suggesting the status is X" <-- can someone get in touch with BT to hassle them to get this done? It's been in excess of a month since our original order, we had a 3rd of August go-live and before we know it, it will be September.

williamvicary
Dabbler

Had another call from a BT engineer just now. He's effectively said he's read the notes and he can see the issue and that it's still exactly the same, someone somewhere hasn't read the notes, the PCP 22 is setup to accept VDSL for my line and that the routing at the exchange needs to be resolved as it's currently pointing to PCP 6.

These notes aren't being read properly by someone somewhere at BT - the actions in the notes below need to actually get done by BT, the engineers are essentially reviewing the line to then confirm that the problem isn't with the line but with the routing and that they've got nothing they can do and then it goes full circle and a different engineer then comes out to find the same issue!

I have carried out three spans from EU back to DP50, then carried out pair divert through 5 joints back to PCP22. The routing has been updated via routing solutions. The EU is expecting fibre to the cab. This will now run from PCP22 and NOTPCP6. This is too far from PCP6 for it to work. PCP22 is afibre to the cabinet ready PCP and so the fibre jumpers canrun from there.The routing is as follows:- MDF R262 PCP6 E462 D408 PCP22 E308 D374 DP50 pr8.The EU is expecting fibre broadband. I have explained to him that this will now have to be built from PCP22.

Can someone hassle BT so they can actually communicate with each other to get this resolved? It's a bit of a farce...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've just asked our suppliers to pass this to their cease and reprovide team.

The process can take about a week as it involves a cease order being placed on the Openreach systems, then a ceaselight on their own systems then a provide order and finally to expedite that provide for the earliest completion date.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
williamvicary
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf, I've seen your messages in the ticket system as well - really appreciate you following this up. Fingers crossed we'll be sorted in a weeks time!