Did you mean: 

Fibre installation questions

FIXED
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Fibre installation questions

I have decided to come back to Plusnet after a period with BT

As I am already on fibre I suppose this will be a self install with router received by post and no engineer visit

I have few questions:

1. How reliable is the booking date? I need to make sure the switch happens on a specific day to avoid BT cancellation charges

2. Will a DLM reset be performed?

3. If I am not happy with the plusnet router can I plug back my openreach modem and netgear router?

17 REPLIES 17
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre installation questions

Fix

When I switched from BT nearly 18 months ago, I asked PN to make the change just over 30 days from the request - BT claimed they needed 30 days to cancel services, and it all happened on the day I requested.

I understand a DLM reset will happen as part of the move.

The PN router is a rebadged BT HH5a, so the choice is yours, personally I prefer the diagnostic info I get from the HH5 I use, but also have a Netgear router behind that to look after all my network connections. As it happens I believe I get higher connection speeds from the HH5 than I did from the OR Modem, but I did not unlock it so can't be certain.

Unlike BT you will need your PN username and password in router, the PN one, or Netgear if you use the OR modem. 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

1. Unreliable

2. No idea

3. You can use any kit you wish with Plusnet. As your existing kit works with BT then you just need to change the username/password in the router for the PPPoE and you are off (assuming you let the router auto populate the DNS or use non BT/Plusnet DNS like Google or OpenDNS). It is worth getting the Plusnet device (which is a rebadge BT HH5 Type A) just for fault finding if necessary.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

OK I have had a BT homehub 5b and sold it on ebay some time later. It did not connect any faster than the openreach modem but it did have a more optimistic view of attainable rate

Probably will sell this on ebay too as I have an HG612 unlocked and I get all the stats I need.

When I installed fibre the first time the engineer went missing however when i switched it happened on the day I requested I presume this is done remotely and nobody is visiting anyone so hopefully it will be on time this time too.

Earlier is not an issue later it would become

PeterLoftus
Pro

Moving from BT to PN is a migration and according to Ofcom rules you only need to contact the gaining supplier and they will inform the loosers. In fact this is the best way of getting a seamless changeover with less chance of the loosers ceasing early. Both companies will provide rebates to allow for extra charges incorrectly levied

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Interceptor121

All Plusnet FTTC installs are now self install so nobody calls at your property.

Of course the engineer has to work at the exchange and cabinet level to ensure that you are moved onto the Plusnet infrastructure.

The timing is really down to when Openreach have engineering staff to do the work and whether the orders are placed correctly and go through the systems without issue.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

@PeterLoftus this is not a normal move. I am exiting BT before contract end using a special notice form price increases. I need to give them between 14 and 30 days to switch outside this window I would pay early termination charges

PeterLoftus
Pro

@Interceptor121 I've never thought it through. Both the migration process and the offer of cancellation with a price increase I believe are both stipulations of Ofcom. Have they not given a consistent procedure?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@SpendLessTime wrote:
Of course the engineer has to work at the exchange and cabinet level to ensure that you are moved onto the Plusnet infrastructure.

There's nothing physical for an engineer to do at the cabinet and exchange for a migration like this one.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @Interceptor121 firstly welcome back!

Just to add to what's already been said, once the order is placed with Openreach, this should be a straight transfer that takes 10 working days and BT retail should automatically receive notification advising of this.

What I'd clarify with them if I were you is if they would accept another provider's order placement as notice.

If so, the service should transfer within the 14 to 30 day period you quoted, and BT retail should schedule your account for closure once the transfer completes.

I hope this helps.

-Edit-

Just edited to add the bits in italics.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

Guys it does not work like that

I can migrate any time just by contacting the new supplier however BT would charge me the termination charges.

In this occasion BT is increasing the prices for fiber and they send you an email. If you are not happy you call in and they make you another offer. In my case the offer would have kept the same price for TV and Fibre however:

1. BT line rental is expensive at £18.99 and their saver is not much cheaper

2. I would get locked into an 18 month contract

3. I really want to get rid of BT TV not because of the IPTV but because freeview is [-Censored-] and there are more HD channels on sky

Once you get the email you have thirty days to tell BT you are not happy and once you get the new offer and still not happy the release the termination charges waiver for 30 days so you need to migrate during this period.

I  have then contacted plusnet and asked for a migration on the 20th of March as I have paid line rental until then

Normally for all other migration out of contract I would not call my previous provider at all

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

Just received an email that my phone will migrate on the 21st of March which is the date I incorrectly entered before talking to BT.

Will plusnet give me the option to anticipate the order date otherwise I have serious issues here!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Private message me with your username and I'll check up on the order tomorrow.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Anoush

I just got an email from BT that they will not apply termination charges so all is good I hope

I got meanwhile another message from plusnet telling me that the fibre will be active by the 22 at 12 pm which seems a bit long anyway all good

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your PM.

Just to echo here what I've sent to you via private message. I've checked our suppliers systems and the fibre order is going ahead for the 21st March. I'd expect the phone order to match up as it was likely placed as a simultaneous provide transfer.

I'll confirm things tomorrow.

-Edit-

I believe the service notice you've received advising the fibre will go live on the 22nd is because the service should transfer over on the 21st but anytime up to midnight. Just to be safe, we usually advise the day after.