Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install slower speed

FIXED
strider
Grafter

Fibre install slower speed

I've just got the email telling me my line has been upgraded to fibre.  I'm sure the slow speed is some sort of speed learning process that the system has to perform.  Is there anything that can be done to speed this up Grin  I don't want to wait the 3 days to test the speed, partly because I will be away by the.  S

8 REPLIES 8
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Fibre install slower speed

Are you getting the same speeds as your ADSL service? You probably haven't been upgraded yet, your account may have been changed to a fibre service but the work to connect you to the fibre cabinet may not have been done. There is no learning or speeding up with FTTC you should get full speed straight away, sometimes PlusNet need to be reminded to correct their line profile which doesn't always update automatically. Don't want to worry you but my fibre upgrade took another 14 weeks after I received the e-mail, but there was a unusual problem with the fibre at the exchange!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @strider,

Initially looking at this, the slower speeds may have just been because your connection hadn't dropped following the order completion when you made this post.

However looking further in to this, a potential fault is being found when testing your connection. Unfortunately the suspected fault being flagged up is against the phone line and it's advising to report this to the phone provider Undecided

Are you experiencing any problems with your phone line at all? (No dial tone, noise etc.)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
strider
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. There is however an update. Shortly after posting the Internet died. I thought - Ah the engineer is doing theverything upgrade. I'll take the dog for a walk and it will all be done when I get back. When I got back and it still was not working i went to the phone when I found out the line was dead. PlusNet tell me it is a line issue so I contact my phone provider and an engineer will be visiting on Thursday. By which time I will be away for a while. Still wI think any luck it will all be sorted when I get back.

Thanks again S
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Let us know if it's still not fixed following the engineer visit.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
strider
Grafter

BT engineers have managed to get the phone working again.

I'm not at home at the moment but reports tell me that I am getting:

Downlaod 7.66 Mbps
Upload 1.83 Mbps

With the increased upload speed it looks like the upgrade has been done but I am still getting the same download speed I used to get before the upgrade.  S

PS - @Gandalf, any sign of those hobbits? ^^

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us, Strider.

Sorry to hear you're still getting slow speeds. Everything checks out over here...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Voice Line Test Result Pass

Looking into this a bit deeper, your profile changed in the evening of the 25th to 38 Mb/s but your connection hadn't dropped since. I've just performed a session kill now. Once you're home, you should be experiencing fibre speeds. Smiley

@strider wrote:

PS - @Gandalf, any sign of those hobbits? ^^

The Halflings will be found in due course. Grin

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
strider
Grafter

Thanks for all the input.  The home team have reported:

Download: 35.52Mbps
Upload: 1.52Mbps

Looking forward to giving it a go when I get back.

Thanks again.  S

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesomeness Thumbs_Up no problems, let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet