cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install slower speed than expected- only 2.7 mps

lang6
Hooked

Fibre install slower speed than expected- only 2.7 mps

I was advised that my upgrade to fibre happened on 19th , two days ago. I understand it can take up to 10 days for speed to ' settle down' , but the speeds I am getting are just as slow as before on normal broadband with plus net.

Phoned support who advise it can take 10 days to ' settle down'. 6 tests over last two days all show average download of 2.7 mps only ! Whilst I can accept not getting up to guaranteed 33 mps ( fibre to cabinet), would have expected an up;fit. average speed before switch was 2.3 mps. Plus nety support confirm switch has happened, at their end showing line can go up to 27 mps, still below guaranteed rate . 

i am showing below the latest BT wholesale test result carried out at 1.00pm today.  Do i just have to accept another 8 days of this or is there a problem?. Neighbours in our street who have switched over to fibre are getting around 40 mps from there providers.

Any help appreciated .thanks

Mike

(bt wholesale test result below)

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
2.74 Mbps

0 Mbps 27.76 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.74 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-27.76 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 27.76 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.84Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre install slower speed than expected- only 2.7 mps

Can you post a copy of the Help Desk tab from your router, making sure you hide the personal info such as username and password?

The 10 day thing is wrong, if everything is configured properly you should get the speed soon after you are connected.

Is your router plugged into the master socket, and do you have a filtered master socket?

lang6
Hooked

I think this is what you requested- copy of the question response etc.below.  Re master socket and filtered master socket- not sure? The socket is a single socket in study. Always used before. we do have 5 other phone sockets , three used with phones only - line filters on all , and one also on  the sky tv line .

[CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst
3:33pm, Friday 20 Oct 2017
Dear Mr Lang,

Thank you for your patience.

For more information regarding speed issues and what you can do to help resolve these, you can follow the link below for further information:
Slow Speed Help

First when raising a speed fault, we advise to run a test via http://speedtest.btwholesale.com using an Ethernet cable directly to the PC.

If this resolves the speed issue then it is likely the issue is related to wireless and further help can be found Here.

If the speed tests are slow, on Fibre please setup a PPPoE connection and re-run the speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run this to the end.

I have included guides below on how to setup a PPPoE connection on the 3 main operating systems:
PPPoE Setup Guide for Windows XP

PPPoE Setup Guide for Windows Vista, 7 and 8

PPPoE Setup Guide for Apple

If the speeds improve during the PPPoE connection test then the router is at fault and would need replacing. At this point I would advise to get back in touch with us so we can get this replaced.

If however, the speeds are still slow during this test, complete the online instructions and put input your telephone number to upload the speeds to the BT servers and please raise a fault online by going to http://faults.plus.net where this will be submitted to our faults team for further testing and an engineer may be called to get the issue resolved.

We are happy to help if you have further questions. You can reply to this message online

Kind regards,

[CSA Removed]

Your Response
9:35am, Saturday 21 Oct 2017
Speedtest result this morning with BT wholesale site
Download 2.72
Upload 1.83
Ping 19.25

Test at 9.30am.
i cannot seem to copy and paste the results- directly from the BT site.

i will perform two more tests today. these results are similar to the tests yesterday,

Mike Lang
Your Response
9:43am, Saturday 21 Oct 2017
copy of a test report just completed-

Results Image not loaded

Download Speed
2.74 Mbps

0 Mbps 27.58 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-27.58 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 27.58 Mbps

Upload Speed
1.83 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.83Mbps
Additional Information:

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.
Your Response
1:10pm, Saturday 21 Oct 2017
2nd test today at 1.05pm

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

Download Speed
2.74 Mbps

0 Mbps 27.76 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-27.76 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 27.76 Mbps

Upload Speed
1.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.84Mbps
Additional Information:

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): 3 Posts released from Spam Filter and two duplicates removed.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Does the Sky TV line have a filter?

I suspect with so many phone sockets your internal wiring is likely to be the problem. When fibre was first installed an engineer would go to your home with the modem, and would install a filtered master socket to ensure internal wiring was not the cause of speed reductions. Often however the master socket is not where people want the router to be.

Have a look at the how to speed up your broadband video on the My Mate Vince site

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

This extract from post #3 is interesting Cheesy

lang6 wrote:

I think this is what you requested- copy of the question response etc.below. 

''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I have included guides below on how to setup a PPPoE connection on the 3 main operating systems:
PPPoE Setup Guide for Windows XP

PPPoE Setup Guide for Windows Vista, 7 and 8

PPPoE Setup Guide for Apple

Wot?  No Win 10 Setup guide?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lang6
Hooked

Thanks for the replies.

Interestingly, last night ,about 8.30pm,  I logged a fault with plus net online ( separate from my previous conversations with tech support). About 30 mins later, internet failed and router rebooted. 

I assume Plusnet support did something remotely? I did not touch anything.

Broadband came back up- miraculously , speed test showed 24 ms download speed, up from 2.7 previously.

Now at 27 ms on test tonight.

Still not at 40 , which my line is meant to be capable of, but a huge uplift. 

was able to watch a UHD film, downloaded on sky, immediately , where as previously could not even download overnight.

Not super fast but compared to 2.7 , a huge improvement.

Mike

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests are showing a high amount of errors on the line.

We've passed the fault to our suppliers to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team