cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install (or lack of) / Poor service

pgjones1983

Fibre install (or lack of) / Poor service

On the 27th November I placed an order with Plusnet for home phone and fibre broadband, during the process I view the available engineer appointment dates, re-arranged work as to fit in with the order / activation process, paid what was requested, sitting comfortably in my chair and received email confirmation that the process was underway.
Being an avid user of the tools available to me, over the next few days, I took advantage of the “control panel” to keep up to date with my order. To my surprise, the broadband activation date had changed to the 5th December. I actually thought that this was good service, a company realising that I already have fibre and have done with 2 other previous providers therefore an engineer visit wouldn’t be needed at my home address, more just a change of connection in the exchange / box. My impression of Plusnet was on a high, thinking that they are a service a cut above the rest, especially after the nightmares I’ve had with previous suppliers. True to the system change of date, on the 4th December, I received my router through the post. Although looking to use my own, it’s always nice to have the ISP router for backup should it be needed.
On the 5th December, I received an email / text advising that an engineer was due to visit on this day, so, in short, I re-arranged everything I had planned to accommodate the engineer visit, at financial cost to myself. Later in the day I received a message advising that my broadband was active. My broadband service was active. At this point, my broadband service appeared to deteriorate, to the point where my previous provider’s router was not connecting. So, I switched the routers around using Plusnet’s router, excited like a child seeing their Christmas presents, only to be emotionally flattened when the router failed to connect. So, I contacted Plusnet via online chat. When asking when my service was to be activated, I was told it already had been. So looking at why it wasn’t working, I then got told it wasn’t active. So is it or isn’t it? Well, it wasn’t. I was duly informed that my activation date was the 15th and an engineer was booked. I was also told to ignore the emails / text received in relation to the engineer appointment and activation. Well, thank you Plusnet, your systems and processes caused a high level of inconvience.
Upon ending the chat, I plugged my old router back in, to find that their service was back up and running again, only with sever speed issues. I also notice that Plusnet have now also started my billing cycle for the 4th of the month, even though I didn’t have a service.
Oh, but you’d think that’s where the saga ends and the fairy tale ending of the 15th December arrives, a competent engineer activates the service and wheeeeee, away I go. Just bear with me whilst I roll around on the floor in fits of laughter, quickly followed by red face and steam whistling out of my ears.
The 15th arrives, granted this was the requested date, however this is now the second day of financial impact to myself, relying on Plusnet to honour their end of the deal. My faith in the company I must admit was melting faster than snow in the dessert, which in fairness, turned out to be very just.
On the day of the 15th, no communication form Plusnet to advise that the service activation was going ahead, even though on a phantom date I was kept informed of everything that wasn’t really happening (if you get me). So via web chat, contacted Plusnet, who advised that the service was “committed” and that it would be completed between 13:00hrs and 18:00hrs, and that they could see no issues as to why this would not happen. Tick tock, tick tock, checking IP addresses, still same provider, checking phone, no text, checking email and spam, no emails. 18:10hrs arrive, still nothing. So I start another webchat (rationale for the webchat is that you have all the responses in writing), I’m advised that the engineer’s system is showing no updates at present, therefore “could have been delayed on another job” and to wait another hour or two “just incase”. Forgive me, a) waiting up to two hours past 18:00hrs isn’t exactly great service and b) Just in case? A whim? Perhaps the engineer was late getting out of bed, or maybe the computer was running an antivirus check, but just in case, please wait longer!
19:20hrs arrives, still nothing. Via webchat again, explain the entire scenario, and in fairness, the gent I was chatting too was very understanding, however, this needed to be raised as a ticket to be investigated. I was advised it maybe looked at that evening or the following day. Either way, I was not getting an active service on the 15th.
On the 16th, I then get texts from Plusnet, kindly telling me (just incase I was suffering with memory loss I presume) that my service activation has been delayed and this is being looked into, and, laughably (again), Plusnet will be in touch.
I would kindly now like to highlight, that my service with me existing provider was terminated on the 15th, so, I am now left with no internet access what so ever, just an error message of "The Agent Remote ID presented by the DSLAM is incorrect" due to the service looking for a service that doesn’t exist (ie my previous provider, and no, my new router for Plusnet doesn't work either!).
Given the fact that if I miss the engineer’s appointment, I get charged, I’m now looking at charging Plusnet / Openreach for the waste of time. Why is it acceptable for Plusnet / Openreach to mess customers around, however, if a customer does this, they are charged to the hilt and have T&C’s thrown in their face. What’s even more annoying is that I’m presumably going to have to waste more time waiting for another “supposed” appointment.
Please don’t come back with “We’re very sorry for the issues you’ve encountered, we understand that you’re frustrated, however these instances are very rare”, if you google Openreach and failed appointments, there’s a raft of information of the same issues, yet, due to the monopoly of BT and how the services are provided, companies are too scared to deal with the mounting customer complaints.
Kindly, can you please tell me when my service will active, and what you are going to do to compensate me for the loss of money from taking time off work on 2 separate days and also the fact that I’m now without an internet and phone service, which, is not of my doing as once a customer places the order “the companies take care of the rest”!
Ps, an update would be wonderful, if someone could manage that, perhaps?
15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre install (or lack of) / Poor service

Hi there,
This sounds horrible. You're right in that a fibre > fibre migration doesn't need an engineer visit, unfortunately we still have to book on when placing the order but we should advise you that nobody will attend.
From the look I've just had over your account, the phone order is actually showing as completed this morning, but the fibre order is showing as delayed. I need to get someone to take a look at what's going on so I'll speak to our provisioning department about this shortly.
I know it's going to sound hollow, but I am truly sorry for the delays and poor communication you've had. Let's get you online and then we can look at a goodwill gesture for the issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Right a brief update. As mentioned in my previous post the phone order is now showing as complete. We need to wait for the system we use to book the fibre to update, this should happen tonight, and then place the fibre order again. Once we've done this we'll be back in touch.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pgjones1983

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your replies and diligence in trying to resolve this. However, given the events of the day, I'm even more confused.
At 15:30hrs an openreach engineer arrived following being asked to attend my property, who by I don't know, which was very welcome.
Although your systems are saying I've a working landline, I in fact don't. When checking the connection within my home, there is no dial tone. The engineer feels at present there is a mis wire in the "box", which has occurred when the service was being switched. Therefore at present I don't have a working landline service, which according to an email I've just received, I'm paying for.
The engineer went to the "box" to attempt to resolve the issue this evening, however was unable too due to fading light. He is returning at 08:15hrs tomorrow (Wednesday) to rectify the fault unless Plusnet have since cancelled this, which would be ludicrous considering I'm without both services.
What I'm now confused by is that you've sent out an engineer, he's arrived, has an understanding of what the problem is, confrimed that I don't physically have either a) a working telephone service (albeit active from your end) or b) a working broadband connection due to an issue at the box, yet, in your message your saying that another appointment needs to be booked, and from what I can see, no matter if I have a phone line working tomorrow, I still won't have broadband (given by you saying the order needs re-placing. It just seems pointless to me sending an engineer out to fix the problem, and then say another appointment needs to be booked?
Surely, on the basis of logic, cost saving, frustration reducing and overall common sense, it would be better to allow the engineer tomorrow (Wednesday) to resolve the issues that have been created, and give me a fully working service rather than leaving me feeling like a yoyo?
Something I do find concerning is that someone else at present may well have my telephone line.
awahwah
Grafter

This read like a complete nightmare.  Hope PN sort things out for you and the speeds are up to scratch when the service is provisioned.
pgjones1983

Oh, and the saga continues....  Crazy
Ok, so the engineer arrives this morning to continue working on the fault. Does what he needs to do, then goes to the box. After a short while arrives back.
He's confused as, well, when accessing the job number / fault code, it appears that Plusnet have in their wisdom "closed" the code - job ref:  WT RCN 222 / 21.
So, just to clarify, send out an engineer to see what the fault is yesterday (fantastic, delivering on service and eager to resolve the issue - excited), and then, well, close it, so that another engineer needs booking, to look at the same fault? I mean, forgive the sarcasm, but what is the logic behind that?? Built up and then let down, seems to be the story of this whole switch.
On a positive, I do at present have broadband, and I must say, the speeds are impressive 40.14 download and 7.90 upload, so fair play, it's worth the switch, however, I still do not have a telephone service. According to the engineer, at present, I still don't have a dial tone. But as the job has been closed, he can't add any notes to the job reference or deal with the issue any further. Wonderful. My time utilised wonderfully as per the start of this entire saga, and now I still don't have a dial tone, I need to now arrange another engineer visit, spend more time sitting at home, which will make it the 4th time in total, when this whole situation could have been resolved this morning.
I appreciate that I'm "just another customer", however, I pay a bill. As part of that bill paying process for a service that your supposed to provide, I part of a piece that pays for a company to exist, therefore I'd class myself and any other paying customer important and integral to your service. As a company, I'd be expecting to resolve issues in the most least restrictive and convenient way possible, not add more problems onto an issue.
The engineer has advised that I need to contact my ISP (again) to again attempt to resolve the issue, he was nice and apologetic, however this isn't his fault. As I don't have a dial tone, and I'm not willing to pay the earth contacting a freephone number from a mobile phone (why should I waste more money when a company seem determined to cause more issues), can someone again please look further into this?
hoonercat
Dabbler

I feel your pain, going through similar at the moment Sad Like you the engineer didn't show up, and I still haven't had an explanation, just an email to say the fibre had been delayed but should be done in the next 24/48 hours, this despite me already having a fibre connection previously. I had high hopes for Plusnet, having come from the awful TalkTalk customer services, but at least you can actually get through to TalkTalk on the phone without an hour wait at almost 11pm. Plusnet have managed to remind me that my first payment is due soon though Roll_eyes
I hope you get you issues resolved soon  Smiley
pgjones1983

Thanks hoonercat.
I've come from Talk Talk too, although thier price was enticing, their speed management and pecking order in the BT speed allocation system left me with 12mbs at times even though paying for the cliche of "up to 33mbs", and yes, you could speak to them, but you had to go through the same process every time you spoke to them. Every time I asked why, my speed had dropped, it strangely shot up to 24.75mbs, which is the acceptable 75% of the up to speed. The price increase was the golden nugget to leave, although they did try and con me out of an early termination fee.....  Shocked That was soon wiped out though!
I appreciate that issues occur and with it being technology, this is the way of life, nothing is simple, but this is where a human and common sense should prevail and I just find myself beomce more and more furstrated, Plusnet are trying to resolve the issues on one hand are doing something to resolve the issue, but what I can't figure out is why they then taken it away again, everything could have been resolved this morning, yet they cancel the job to look to re-book it again? Just makes no sense what so ever. I'm just hoping that Plusnet recognise how much of a nightmare this has been both financially and time wise.
We shall see what happens. Hope you get yours sorted!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi guys
@pgjones1983
It looks like there has been some confusion on the orders. Our suppliers advised us that both orders were closed yesterday evening at 9:30 so why a engineer went out this morning I'm not sure. I'm glad to see that the fibre is now working and the good news (depending on what way you look at it) is that our testing is showing a external issue with the phone line. This doesn't need a engineer to visit the property at the moment so they should be able to get that resolved without you having to wait in. They've quoted a estimated repair time of the 22nd but we'll try and see if we can get this sorted sooner. Sorry for the continued inconvenience.
@hoonercat
We'll need to arrange for a engineer to come out and install the modem. Can you let us know when your available? The slots are AM between 8am and 1pm or PM between 1pm and 6pm and at the moment we have from tomorrow till Saturday available.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
hoonercat
Dabbler

PG sorry to hijack your thread  Embarrassed
Matthew Saturday 1pm to 6pm would be great, I'll pm you and add it to the current ticket (96323284)
pgjones1983

Don't worry 🙂
Matthew I've sent you a PM, I now have no internet -DSL light has gone off.
I'm sorry, but I'm failing to see the funny side to all this now.
pgjones1983

To update :- 2 Openreach engineers have just knocked on my front door to advise that full service has now been restored.
I have full dial tone and full high speed internet.
The fault was a broken port in the box, this should have been picked up earlier by previous engineers. They have now replaced the port and this appears to have restored the line and cleared the faults.
Thank you.
Chris
Legend

Quote from: pgjones1983

I have full dial tone and full high speed internet.

Excellent news! Thanks for getting back and letting us know, very happy to hear.
pgjones1983

My only concern left now is what exactly I'm going to be billed for. I received an email 2 days ago, saying congratulations you've had broadband for 14 days.....
Is there going to be a small debate over what and when I should be being charged from when my bill comes through? As according to your systems is showing that I'm being billed from the 4th, full service didn't take effect until the 17th.
All in all, thank you for resolving the issue, I know as a consumer we are quick to complain and slow to compliment, credit where credit's due, if it had been another provider, such as the one I've just moved from, I reckon it could have been March at the earliest for a resolution!
Chris
Legend

I've just tried to give you a call regarding a goodwill gesture for the downtime but there was no answer. I'll create a ticket on your account detailing what I think would be a fair amount given the billing and circumstances.