Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre in the doldrums

mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fibre in the doldrums

Question 131523062 also refers. Following a line fault which started at the end of July (static noise on line) broadband seemed unaffected - a fault was raised and openreach found that it was easier to run a new line from a different pole rather than dig the road up ( there was no spare capacity on the original pole). So far so good the line is now as clear as a bell. However a check on BT wholesale speed test shows my broadband line speeds are well below my ip profiles - can someone check this out. (The overall copper line length from the cabinet is now shorter).

Thanks & Regards

18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre in the doldrums

Hi Mike, I can see the connection profile on our systems matches the IP profile but it looks like you're seeing a slow upstream from what you mentioned on the open ticket.

I've performed some diagnostics which don't point towards anything obvious but it would be worth raising this as a broadband fault over at http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikewalsh
Rising Star

Thanks Adam - have raised it as a fault. the connection is consistent (not dropping) But BT line test  gives IP profiles of 80mbps up / 20mbps down - my line speeds are both less than half that.

Regards

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Mike your line has been provisioned at those speeds but 38mbps is the fastest speed possible on Fibre Unlimited.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikewalsh
Rising Star

Thanks Adam - I have no issues with the download speed. It is the drop in upload speed that is worrying and that's what I have asked your team to check in the troubleshooter.

Cheers Mike

mikewalsh
Rising Star

My contracted speeds are 38-40 estimated download. Currently around 33 which isn't too far off the mark.

However the upload of 19-20 estimated upload was previously around  16 but is now only around 8 which is way out.

Regards

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I thought that all the 40/20 customers had been moved to 55/10. Am I missing something?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Hi Baldrick - No but I may be !
I think that was for new contracts ?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@mikewalsh

All 40/20 customers (they stopped selling it in June 2015) have been moved to the upto 55/10 product as of 1st August.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
mikewalsh
Rising Star

Plusnet did not inform me of this and it accounts for the drop in upload speed which occurred around that time.  But not why Adam told me there was a 38mbps limit on my download and ... If that was the case I should also be seeing a corresponding increase in my download line speed.

Anyone from plusnet care to comment ?

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Further to my last - I have raised a fault for upstream which really should have been downstream!

If plusnet had kept me informed of the change from 40/20 techs wouldn't be wasting their time !

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Have you tried rebooting your router? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Hi Baldrick

I did a reboot yesterday with no effect but I don't want to confuse the fault team who are currently looking for a non existent fault on my upstream.

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have known about the 55/10 con job. They were quick to change the upstream DLM but not so quick to change the downstream.

Once they have decided there is no fault I will get them to change the downstream DLM

Hopefully someone will let Adam Walker know about the new fibre unlimited speeds!

Regards

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Mikewalsh wrote:

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have known about the 55/10 con job.

Do you ever receive emails from them? It's possible that you've slipped through the cracks but it might be wise to verify that PN has the correct email address and that your spam filter isn't blocking emails. 

I wouldn't put it past PN's systems to have gone a bit awry but I'd be surprised in this case. There are legal implications because of this package change (it entitles you to cancel your contract free of termination charges which is why it isn't really a 'con job') so PN would be very much in remiss if they have failed to send an email.

mikewalsh
Rising Star

Definitely didn't get an email - I've checked back several months on both emails and questions - nothing but monthly bills!

I have had good service up to now but I don't like being conned or messed about 😬