Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre in my area this month?

StephenF
Grafter

Fibre in my area this month?

Hi there!
I'm located in Withernsea (HU19 postcode) and samknows says fibre will be available in my area at the end of this month!
I'm extremely interested in this if it's going to be available (and especially in potential upload speeds available to me on fibre). I was wondering if some member of staff could check this out for me? If it will be available, when is the soonest I can sign up for it and get this sorted? Also, what is the project upload speed for my area on the new fibre service?
Cheers,
Steve
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre in my area this month?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Steve,
You won't be able to see any estimated speeds until fibre is actually available.
However do keep checking the link that Oldjim has posted and I hope fibre makes it way to you soon!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ might have some information.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
StephenF
Grafter

Thanks for the information guys. I'll keep and eye out and get it ordered asap. It says FTTP will also be available, do plusnet provide an FTTP service or just FTTC?
Oldjim's link says that I can get 1.5mb/s upload in my area but I only get 0.7mb/s at best. Is there any way for me to improve that?
Cheers,
Steve
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Was that Annex M? If so it costs more - it also reduces your download speed.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: StephenF
It says FTTP will also be available, do plusnet provide an FTTP service or just FTTC?

If FTTC is available, it is likely to be FTTP on Demand, which is very expensive and not something we actively offer. Though we could probably do it with a business account. However, on the off chance that it's standalone FTTP then we would offer connection speeds to match our FTTC packages (e.g. 80/20 or 40/20).
Hope this helps.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
StephenF
Grafter

Thanks for the quick replies.
FTTC sounds fine then, i'll go with that once fiber is here.
It was for Annex M yes, how can I go about getting such a connection? In terms of download speed reduction, are the implications severe? And how much more does it cost? Would you say i'm just better off waiting for the fiber connection?
Cheers,
Steve
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The download will decrease by about the same amount as the upload increases. Very, very few residential users have this as it costs I think £12 per month (it's £10 + VAT on business lines) on top of your current charges - basically I think fibre is cheaper and should give you much faster upload than Annex M.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to be the bearer of (possibly) bad tidings, but I have a funny feeling Plusnet have a glitch in their systems which means they can't offer anything to anyone in a HU postcode.
There was a thread on this forum about it a few weeks ago, but can't find it now - maybe someone else remembers and can find it?
Alan
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I've found it... It wasn't on this forum, it was on the thinkbroadband forum:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4372399-plusnet-post-code-problem.html?fpart=2&vc=1
Adam Walker's response there on 19 November was:
"Really sorry to see our systems have scuppered you when trying to signup.
We do fully understand that some people such as yourself may have a Hull postcode but might live in an area that isn't served by KC.
There's evidently a fault with some of the logic in our signup process related to this so we've reported the problem internally. "
Maybe the fault has been sorted? Maybe a member of Plusnet staff could clarify the current situation?
Alan
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That was for a new customer, an upgrade for an existing customer probably will not have the same issue.
(and your link doesn't work - this does)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jelv.
I hadn't realised the OP was an existing customer. Hopefully there won't be a problem.
Strange - link works for me...
A
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You can't register on these forums unless you are a Plusnet user!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jelv
Clearly I made a mistake. I didn't realise only current Plusnet customers could register on these forums, for which I humbly apologise and give a reverential bow to the superior knowledge of 'brightspark' jelv.
Then again, I guess the OP could have been a former customer who was still a forum member... But no, I hadn't checked the OPs previous posts, which I suppose I could have done.
Sometimes the attitude of longstanding forum members to those of us who are relatively new/infrequent posters leaves a lot to be desired...
Not the most welcoming of communities...
Like I say, I was just trying to be helpful. Not sure I will bother again.