Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre in my area but Cabinet not enabled- Told told to speak to ISP for answers

deejayburnout
Grafter

Fibre in my area but Cabinet not enabled- Told told to speak to ISP for answers

Evening Peeps
I am at my wits end about my situation and hopefully someone at Plusnet can help.
Story
Fibre was enabled in my area in late October. My firend who lives round the corner ( and is fed of another cabinet ) ordered  fibre with Plusnet a few days after it went live and is very happy with the service.
So when i went to order, i was shown this at the website
Exchange Name: KINGLASSIE
Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can’t place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later.
so i started digging for answers. i got the following from various attempts
h******h@existent.co.uk
   Hi Chris
   This is the response I've had from BT regarding the Kinglassie exchange:
   Locations to be upgraded are being announced in a series of phases as we progress the programme. Further locations will be announced as the programme rolls out.  The reason for this phased approach is to ensure that the information we make public is as accurate as possible and we can provide a high degree of certainty. In a civil engineering project of this size and complexity, forward looking plans are subject to change and final, detailed local surveys will be carried out shortly before deployment begins. The programme will run through to the end of 2017. Updates to the programme are available on the Digital Scotland Superfast Broadband website at http://www.digitalscotland.org/superfast-broadband/

<Stephen.R*****l@fife.gov.uk>
Chris
Cabinet 4 has got a delay on it. This is the one at the entrance to Lochty Park to which you are connected. When you see  a second cabinet installed within 100metres of the existing cabinet you’ll know it’s on its way.

Superfast@scotland.gsi.gov.uk
The information I get from the broadband map is……
“Enabled Area
You are connected to cabinet number 4 on served from the Kinglassie exchange.
Your area is enabled for fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can't place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later.”
Which sounds like your area has been upgraded, but services aren’t available yet.  There is always a two week gap between a cabinet being complete and active services running from it.  I would suggest that you keep checking with your local ISP and on any of the broadband comparisons sites and hopefully you will see services available soon.
If there is a technical fault with the cabinet, then you will need to report this through your current ISP.

I am getting no clue to when the fault with my cabinet is getting done. as the last one says contact my ISP for details, i am hoping that someone at Plusnet Headquarters can please tell be when it will be getting fixed. I am frustrated not at the fact that i dont have Fibre yet, but more at the fact that no one seems to know when it is getting done. Surely these jobs take weeks to plan and no one has a clue at all. i have spoke to the local council who has no plans in place for a new cabinet, even though they have to give planning permission for it.
can anyone please help??????  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
15 REPLIES 15
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre in my area but Cabinet not enabled- Told told to speak to ISP for answers

deejayburnout
Grafter

Re: Fibre in my area but Cabinet not enabled- Told told to speak to ISP for answers

i have.
checked with my phone number
Exchange KINGLASSIE is served by Cabinet 4
Availability Date
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.
The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.
If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.
Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
WWWombat
Grafter

Why do you think there is a fault with your cabinet? Is it because you can't find out about this fault that is putting you at your wit's end?
The answer would appear to be simple...
To get superfast broadband (aka fibre-based broadband), you need both your exchange to be enabled *and* your cabinet to be enabled. When websites/people talk about your "area" being upgraded, they mean the exchange has become enabled ... but they don't normally refer to any individual cabinet.
It sounds like your friend's cabinet has already been enabled - hence their ability to order. However, it equally sounds like your cabinet has not yet been upgraded. It is in the plans, but isn't ready yet. In fact, it sounds like it hasn't even be placed on site yet.
Not every cabinet is upgraded on an exchange, and those that are upgraded are rarely done at the same time - invariably there ends up being delays to some; usually a problem getting a power feed, blocked ducts stopping fibre being connected, or delays getting approval for roadworks. Encountering unmapped utilities when digging throws a spanner in the works. Councils, by the way, largely don't have to give planning permission for the majority of cabinets. Only for those in conservation areas.
It could be weeks more, or even months ... so you need to be patient. Keep checking the checker, of course, but try to remain calm. Having gone through the same thing myself (my cabinet ended up 6 months behind all the surrounding ones, and others have experienced longer delays), it is sadly the best I can recommend to keep your sanity.
You are right that these things take weeks to plan ... but BT also have to plan for a certain amount of unexpected delays (like blocked ducts, or unexpected utilities when they dig); when a delay is encountered on a cabinet, the staff will be moved on to another cabinet elsewhere (that way they keep busy, and the costs are kept down). Remedial action will be planned in for the cabinet, some time in the future.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
deejayburnout
Grafter

thanks fopr your reply.
I know the cabinet is needed replaced as i have been told by my local council officer who is in charge / oversees the fibre upgrade in Fife. see below for the email he sent me
Chris
There was a problem getting the siting agreed (which I didn’t know about when we exchanged emails previously). This is now resolved so the cabinet can go ahead. It will need slotting in to the programme of works by BT and their subcontractors but as yet I don’t have a date.

Kind Regards
Steve

this was dated 18th November. He told me that the cabinet needs replaced completly and they are not upgrading the exsisiting one.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

From my experience once you see the engineers at work the cabinet will be enabled in 1 to 2 months. They will probably install the fibre cabinet first, then install the new fibre cable & finally replace the old cabinet. The final job will be to connect the standard cabinet to the fibre cable.
These jobs tend to be done by different contractors so it won't all happen simultaneously.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Thats the frustating part. Its going to take months.  Cry
My man reason for wanting the upgrade is my wife is online alot playing Destiny on her PS4 and i play Elite Dangerous and if one of us is online, the other cannot go on.
XenoGuy
Grafter

Sorry to butt-in, but, where do I contact to get information about cabinets being upgraded, as I'm too getting impatient for fttc. Thanks.
deejayburnout
Grafter

That the big issue. There is no info. No one seems to know.
WWWombat
Grafter

Nowadays, the first place is probably the people who are running the local BDUK-subsidised project. That tends to be a portion of your local county council.
Each council differs in the detail of the knowledge they have. They will probably know the rough plans, and might know whether a particular cabinet is in/out. They might even know of delays & difficulties. Some places (like Warwickshire) keep track of the project on a cabinet-by-cabinet basis, publishing exact details. Others stay well clear.
Plusnet Customer
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: deejayburnout
checked with my phone number
If there were firm plans it would show an availability date for FTTC, so there is currently no information.
I doubt anyone can or will tell you anything.
On my exchange some cabinets have been enabled; a friend of mine about 150 yards away has had FTTC for about a year now, mine still shows availability as 31st December.
I don't actually believe that as it keeps moving back and I've seen no action near the cabinet, though there's been an FTTC one sitting there for ages.
We did have terrible problems last winter with flooding, pumps running 24*7 around the exchange for 4 months, so I'm half expecting a delay until the main winter rains have passed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: XenoGuy
Sorry to butt-in, but, where do I contact to get information about cabinets being upgraded, as I'm too getting impatient for fttc. Thanks.

Have you looked at http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ ?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
anniesboy
Rising Star

Another place to look is here  http://roadworks.org/
You can see if BT are planning work in your area.
XenoGuy
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you looked at http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ ?

Been 'under review' for years.
WWWombat
Grafter

Your location says London - is this actually the case?
The problem there is that London has no BDUK component, so there is no project that focusses on getting the slower end of the market sorted out - the merely "superfast" - for the parts of London that aren't commercially viable.
London, of course, got a huge sum to be one of the super-connected cities; originally focussed on ultrafast speeds, and then focussed on the voucher scheme. Some of the UBF cities were aiming a portion at their own pockets of consumer digital deprivation (Bristol, for example), but the whole focus now is on business.
To my mind, the best place to complain to has to be Boris. He's so focussed on gigabit speeds to one roundabout in the east-end, and he's taken his eye off the ball for all the other residents.
Plusnet Customer