cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre, in actual real-time use, no faster than standard?

beelzebomb
Hooked

Fibre, in actual real-time use, no faster than standard?

I'm getting increasingly frustrated. Over Xmas, upgraded to fibre, but while the speed is now 30mb (compared to 7mb before upgrade) I am seeing no actual visible improvement.
When upgrading, BT guy reported to me that there was an fibre issue at the green box, meaning speeds remained at 7mb, he went back & fixed this - but speed dropped back to 7mb again a couple of days later. By the time I could report this, it'd jumped back up to 30mb again.
iPlayer and Netflix etc load at the same speed as before, 4OD now buffers (it didn't before), websites load at exactly the same slow speed (2x iMacs, iPad, smart blu-ray & TV - all the same). Uploads and downloads sometimes fail/break (they didn't before) and on average, fibre seems to not be able to remain connected for more than a day or so without a break.
Using new Hub One router. I also hear the router sounding like an old noisy computer hard-drive when (struggling to) load rich-content websites.
With an actual speed increase from 7mb to 30mb - I would expect to see some improvement.
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Fibre, in actual real-time use, no faster than standard?

Are you using wifi?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

beelzebomb
Hooked

Both iMacs and iPad are wi-fi, smart tv is ethernet connected.
beelzebomb
Hooked

So, having almost achieved 2 whole days connected, connection has just dropped again - so back to connection time "0 days..."
Do plusnet monitor this site?
Now they've removed the opportunity to open a support ticket (what a dumb move - customer service is the reason I chose plusnet many years ago) I simply don't have time to hang on for a slot in a 'live chat' or phone call.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I simply don't have time to hang on for a slot in a 'live chat' or phone call.

if its any comfort, do try calling. My enquiry today was answered immediately in spite of being told I might wait up to 15 minutes. Avoid peak times if you can though!