Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre in Cornwall

FIXED
zunkith
Hooked

Fibre in Cornwall

Hello all,

Has anyone here got any experience with Plusnets' fibrepackage in Cornwall? Specifically in the Camborne area?

BT say they can provide it, but I am not really wanting to leave Plusnet. 

Thanks in advance.

-- 

Zunkith

12 REPLIES 12
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Fibre in Cornwall

What does the DSL Checker say is available for your phone line?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

zunkith
Hooked

Thank you for replying. I've pasted what it says below. From what I can see there should be no issues.

Cabinet 46

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP Install Process

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 50 -- Available 2 Stage --  

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 4 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1.5 to 4 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 0.75 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U            
VRI N            
NTEFaceplate N            
Last Test Date 17-05-2017            

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

-- 

Zunkith

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

So isn't the answer to see if you can get on the Plusnet FTTP trial?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Stay with Plusnet they are doing the fttp trials at a good price. Plenty of info in the fttp section thread.
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?wizard_id=20
Excellent!
bmc
Hero

Fix

If you want to faster speeds then FTTP is the only option. Currently very few ISP's offer a service and perhaps Zen Internet is the only well known consumer ISP other than BT to offer a product.

PlusNet has a trial for existing customers - speed and prices are based on the FTTC offering though, as it's a trial, there is no support via phone or Live Chat. This forum is the best place for help.

As it's FTTP the real question is which ISP do you want to use. Performance wise it should make no difference, PlusNet are the cheapest, especially if you don't need your phone line - you can give it up with PlusNet after you have FTTP (subject to any contract cancellation charges). I pay £17.49 for the "up to 38" service with no phone line (and get speeds consistently above 36).

For PlusNet login to your Members page and then click on the following link. The trial application page also has links to the Terms & Conditions (it's a trial after all!!!) and FAQ's.

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20

Whoever you go to the DSL Checker is showing a two visit install process - one external to run the fibre to your property (a box is fixed to your wall) and then a second visit at least a week later to run the fibre inside and connect to the Optical Network Terminator (ONT).

Brian

zunkith
Hooked

Brian you are a marvellous man.

Actually thank you to all who have responded. I am looking at the trial stuff now. With any luck I can get on that and Boom!.

-- 

Zunkith

bmc
Hero

If you submit a trial request keep an eye on "View my Questions" on your Members page and respond to PlusNet messages.

While I believe you don't need to be at home for the first visit access to your house is required for the second. The fibre cable will follow the route of your phone line to your house and be terminated in a box on an external wall (probably near where the phone line enters your property). OpenReach have some lea way in both where the fibre comes into your house and where the ONT goes but only some. Generally the ONT goes in the same room where the fibre enters and must be near a power source. You need a second power source for your router (or be happy to lay a long Ethernet cable to where you want your router).

Once up and running you can decide whether or not to keep your phone line. If you decide to cancel do it through this forum to ensure no problems. A PlusNet FTTP bod will advise on any charges and do the necessary if you agree.

Brian

zunkith
Hooked

Afternoon all,

Well the FTTP is live! So I have no excuse to go out and play in the snow.

Thank you again to all who replied. One last question, is it normal for the speed to stay the same and then go up or should it instantly be up at the better speeds?

-- 

Zunkith

bmc
Hero

Because it's a trial the service isn't integrated with PlusNet back office systems. They have to switch the service at their end and then you re-boot your router.

Hopefully a FTTP PlusNet staff member will pick up on this soon and do the necessary.

Brian

zunkith
Hooked

Thank you again bmc.

I hope they do soon. "hello lovely Plusnet people. Please unleash the horses. Free the photons!"

-- 

zunkith

bmc
Hero

Keep an eye on View my Questions in your Members page - PlusNet should respond there.

OpenReach will (may have already) submit a "Completed Order" through the system to PlusNet who should then do the necessary on your account.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Zunkith. How's your new FTTP service since your order completed?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet