cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre in Bletchley, Milton Keynes area

YellaFella
Grafter

Fibre in Bletchley, Milton Keynes area

Hey, I'm just helping my cousin out, she's currently on ADSL as fibre still isn't available, she's been in this new estate since 2003. Where do we check when plusnet will have fibre broadband in this area please? Cheers.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Fibre in Bletchley, Milton Keynes area

All Plusnet will do is check here.  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Another approach is to see if the local county or borough council have any initiatives going. If not lobby local councillors MP etc. A Google search for Bletchly broadband could be a good starting point. See here for a start http://www.broadbandexposed.co.uk/broadband/in/bletchley-in-milton-keynes/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fizzyj
Grafter
Fixes: 6

Hi there, sorry to hear that your cousin can not get fibre. If you can PM us the account username so we can investigate this for them.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faisal J
 Plusnet Help Team
YellaFella
Grafter

She's not on plus net at the moment, I'm trying to switch her over and take over the current deals as I've just switched myself. However, it only shows 4-8mb max. Though checking the other sites, it shows max up to 300Mb/s speeds in the area. Limited number of connections perhaps? How can I get her faster speeds? Cheers.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@YellaFella

Can you post a picture of the DSL Checker results?

Also, try the following to see what it says.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Brian

fizzyj
Grafter

Hi there, could you please PM us the telephone number and post code so we can check this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faisal J
 Plusnet Help Team
YellaFella
Grafter

It does say there's high demand at the moment. Black spot?

fizzyj
Grafter

Hi there, if you can PM the username we will be able to check this for you.

Faisal J
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero

@YellaFella

There is a website which allows you to have a look at cabinets on an Exchange. For cabinet P15 on Milton Keynes it's currently showing

FTTC Available from 2nd March 2011, being expanded by November 2018  

OpenReach "live" dates (November 2018) should always be taken with a pinch of salt. The additional capacity could come online in the near future or it could be next year depending on how the work goes.

For the time being it doesn't look as though FTTC is available (unless a "port" became free, an order got placed and then accepted before anyone else got in!!!)

I suspect it'll be a case of checking regularly to see if the status changes.

Brian

YellaFella
Grafter

That is a long wait for a port to be available. Well, the area was built with the new houses around 2003 onwards. I'd expect 15 years on that there's enough space. Saying that, 2011 onwards with FTTC.

bmc
Hero

@YellaFella

FTTC cabinets are "paired" with existing phone cabs. They do not have the same capacity on the grounds that not everyone wants a faster connection. As an example I have FTTP and happen to know that the Distribution Point for my house serves 7 homes - two of which are quite happy on their ADSL service.

The public BDUK projects to install faster broadband tend to have "clawback" provisions that mean once a cabinet has reached a certain take up percentage some of the money is returned to the public purse for further investment in broadband. I believe the "take up" point is only!!! 20%.

To supply more capacity either another DSLAM card is added to the cabinet (if there's space) or an additional cabinet has to be installed. I'm guessing it's the latter in this case. This means power supplies, additional fibre, road works etc which can never be fully timetabled until the work has actually begun as it's not known what, if any, problems will be encountered.

A PlusNet staff member invited you previously to send them a Private Message with the phone number and post code of your cousin so they could have a look at what their systems are saying.

Brian