cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre has mind of its own.

debrabarnikel1

Fibre has mind of its own.

Community is last resort.

Our WiFi hasn’t been consistent in over a year. Upgraded to fibre in attempt to end the 0.4mbps speeds, but not much has changed. Everything from the BT pole right into the house has been replaced, made new, including master socket. Fibre just dips between 1mbps or less and 28 as it pleases. Several conversations with Plusnet support, they tell me to do a load of stuff, I do it, they say give it some time, I do, it’s still just slow throughout the day, even when it’s only me in the house. Only two of us live here, we’re on the fibre package, but 2.5-4mbps seems to be our regular speed up until 10-11pm.

Fed up. Almost £30 a month for something that just doesn’t work properly. Put myself in a 24 month fibre contract in faith it was all going to be amazing as the friendly guy on the phone said, but it’s just constant disappointment. Ready to move to a different provider, been fobbed off by more than 1 of Plusnet staff, and a BT engineer  

Tips? Advice? Help? At this point, I’ll take anything. 

5 REPLIES 5
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Fibre has mind of its own.

Welcome to the Forum @debrabarnikel1

I wasn't clear whether you have a wifi problem or a problem with your fibre connection or both.

What does http://dslchecker.bt.com/ say for your line (if you post the results make sure that any personal information isn't displayed)? And what speed is reported if you connect with a cable rather than wifi, please? And what hub/router/etc. are you using to connect to the internet?

debrabarnikel1

Thanks!

I’m saying my fibre broadband is slow and unreliable..

Equally slow when connected with an Ethernet cable. 

Screenshotted results because not sure what any of it means 😅

Thank you!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You should be getting around 76Mbps download speeds so something is horribly wrong somewhere. Best to raise a speed fault with PlusNet.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

It is saying that you should have a very good connection. It you were on the 80/20 package you should be getting at least 71 download and 19 up; I'm not sure what you would get on the 40/10 package but I would expect in the high 30s download. It looks to me that there is a problem; it could be with the line or something else, for example, the wrong service has been set up on your line.

Plusnet staff come to the forum, and those that do seem far better at solving problems (such as yours) than the help desk people. But they don't always appear - today has been rather quiet - and it may be sometime before one appears.

From what you said in your original post you have spoken to Plusnet several times without getting this sorted.However, I would run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and then report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

It takes a bit of your time but formally makes Plusnet aware of your problem, they have look at it, and gets the problem into the queue for action. Hopefully though your post will also get picked up by Plusnet people here.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having. Our tests aren't finding any issues.

Can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end? This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet