cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre goes slow, dsl Flashes then Internet Fails Altogether

dougjbarnes
Dabbler

Fibre goes slow, dsl Flashes then Internet Fails Altogether

I've a FTC fibre network that has been great up to about 3 weeks ago.
Suddenly the speed dropped from ~23M to about 8.7M, then internet disappeared altogether.  The phone was VERY crackly and noisy!
I found the internet had dropped, and on investigation found the Internet light on the PlusNet router wasn't on, and the DSL light on the BT router was flashing. After a while the BT DSL became steady, but still no Internet. Powered the PlusNet router down, then up and after the usual wait all was back to normal (and ~23M)
This situation has been repeated a few times since but WITHOUT the phone line apparently playing up, each time the speed drops to about 8 - 9 M, then the BT router DSL light blinks and/or goes off. After a while the BT DSL light comes back on but there's no connection to the internet UNTIL the PlusNet is powered down & back up (is there a way of kick starting the internet connection via the plusnet router interface?)
It's becoming difficult to rely on the connection, can anyone suggest what checks I can do or what can be done at the PlusNet end
Thanks
update; 28/Nov/2015@19:20;  3 dropouts in last 20 minutes, phone line is crackling again
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All capstext in title edited as per forum rule
2 REPLIES 2
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Fibre goes slow, dsl Flashes then Internet Fails Altogether

You should report a PSTN voice telephony fault to who ever you pay line rental to, as if you can here audible noise  it usually can be evidence of a HR type fault, but to exclude the filter  remove the face plate on the master socket and plug a corded phone if possible into the test jack and do the quiet line test again, if you can still hear noises then report a fault
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Fibre goes slow, dsl Flashes then Internet Fails Altogether

I can see we've raised a phone fault to our suppliers.
We'll get this fixed as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team