cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre for home vs business

createdbydan
Grafter

Fibre for home vs business

Is anyone able to help explain the differences between the fibre unlimited extra for home I am on, and the business version?
In the TOS theres no mention of NOT being able to host a website on your connection so long as it doesnt degrade network performance for others, but I cant see any benefit to moving over to business.
I run a web design business, but the business site is pretty basic.. Customer sites would probably be hosted on a 3rd party server unless anyone can advise if I can run a web server with 10 or so sites on from home?
Thanks all.
Dan
5 REPLIES 5
createdbydan
Grafter

Re: Fibre for home vs business

Bump  Crazy
sjptd
Grafter

No reason not to run a web server at home. 
How many sites you can sensibly manage depends on how busy they are; many small sites have almost no traffic so even 10 or a lot more may be insignificant.
Much more of an issue if you are serving lots of images or, even worse, videos.  Remember it will be your relatively low upload speed that is mainly used.
However, there are downsides. 
A machine on all the time, using quite a bit of electricity. (approx 1 watt = £1 per year)
More responsibility to you to keep backups etc running and other management.
An open port meaning you need to be extra careful about security.
createdbydan
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I come from a career in 1st then later 2nd line tech support for VPS and dedicated servers and have worked for some big hosting companies, so I'm fine with running my own server.
I guess my real question was.. Whats the difference between the residential and business packages? I cant see many if any at all?
AshPowell
Grafter

Isn't worth it mate.. just go with a decent web host or fire up a vps.
https://www.smarthosting.co.uk/aff.php?aff=015 are who I use, they're great & cheap
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Whats the difference between the residential and business packages?

Support and repair time, a business line/xDSL connection may have a 24 hour repair time.... a residential service may be 4 times that.
Running a web server on any xdsl connection does not make any sense....use a hosted soloution.
Ian