Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre fitted yesterday please help

smithcomputers
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fibre fitted yesterday please help

Openreach came and fitted fibre yesterday but I am only getting 3846kbps down and 1098kbps up. I was getting 8700kbps on ADSL2 and you estimated I would get 28.4Mbps down, I appear to be a long way from that and when I run the BT tester it says there is nothing wrong and it is within what I should get. I have reported it as a fault and have attached some screen grabs I have taken. Any help would be much appreciated as I use this for my business and this is why I upgraded as we needed the extra speed. A little bit of background to help:- I have moved everything to plusnet including the line as I was on a full MPF product with another supplier and all went well and changed over as it should as far as I know. Any help would be very much appreciated as at the moment I am far worse off than I was. I have attached a DSL stats screen from when I was on ADSL2 the morning before fibre was installed. Thanks..
          Mike.
14 REPLIES 14
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Fibre fitted yesterday please help

That doesn't look good at all.
At the risk of playing devils advocate was the engineer who installed the line a Openreach engineer or a contractor like Kelly Communications?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Are you thinking what I'm thinking Matthew ? It was a contractor and he didn't bother to fit the filtered faceplate to the NTE5. Then said that Fibre doesn't need a separate filter anymore and so removed any existing DSL filter.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithcomputers
Grafter

Hi and thanks for the quick reply, I think it must have been an openreach engineer as that's what it said on the van but he never said and I had nothing else to go on. He did'nt change the master socket as it was new only a couple of months ago when I had a fault but I will attach a couple of photo's of the socket if that will help in the identification. We only have the master socket and no extensions on this line and the drop wire goes straight into the back of this socket. I am in for the rest of the day now so if you have any other questions I can help with please fire away. Again many thanks for youe help so far it is much appreciated.
         Mike...
Sorry wife just said she thinks it only said fast fibre on the van and not Openreach so I am not sure now.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the info.
We're going to have to look at getting a Openreach engineer out as I suspect it was a contractor and they haven't done something quite right.
At this moment in time we have availability for tomorrow with AM (8AM while 1PM and PM (1PM while 6PM).
Failing that we have from next Monday to Saturday. If you can let me know when your available and I'll get it booked for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

At least he seems to have fitted a filtered faceplate though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithcomputers
Grafter

We are in all day tomorrow so any time would be fine thanks.
Mike..
PS. superb customer service thanks, nice to know I chose the right new supplier.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm booking in tomorrow morning for you now.
I'll update your fault once that's been done.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
smithcomputers
Grafter

Thanks Matthew just received text confirmation.
Cheers
            Mike..
smithcomputers
Grafter

Ok openreach engineer came as promised and spent the best part of 2 hours trying to improve the speed but to no avail, He did try everything but there are no faults  he said I am just too far from the cabinet to get any faster and no matter what he did it was not going to get any better Cry Nice gentleman and very helpful but all he could suggest was to be put back on ADSL2+ as that was the only way I would get my speed back to what it was, he even said he would put a note on the system for PlusNet to confirm. My next question is can you offer me a package back on ADSL2+ with the phone and everything like I have just signed up for with you on fibre, also if you can will I keep the static IP that I paid for or would it have to change again. Not a problem but I need to know for my mail server. I run my business from home doing remote server admin and remote upgrades and software development where the software is uploaded to beta testers which was why I wanted the extra upload speed in particular, but as that is not possible I would be quite happy to get back the speed I had before if that is possible. I have to be realistic so back to ADSL2+ it will have to be. If you need to contact me I will be in after 12 on Monday or I will check this topic when I get in, Many thanks for your help so far and looking forward to your reply or call.
Cheers
          Mike. (smithcomputers)
AndyH
Grafter

Did he give you an idea of how far you were from the cabinet?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The faults team will be updating you shortly. Depending on the results and a few other factors, I see no reason why we can't move you onto the ADSL platform if it would be of benefit. Everything on the phone side will remain the same, and you can keep a static IP, but that could change (just once).
If we do make the change, we'll need you to comment on the fault ticket (faults.plus.net) or give us a quick ring so we can go through authentication checks.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

Judging from the postcode on the DSL speed checker results, and the cabinet identity there (cab 3), it looks like you are about 2.5km (1.6m) from the cabinet.
That's assuming that this ( https://goo.gl/maps/E6VvF ) is cab 3.
If those locations are right, then the achieved speed seems to be more likely than the estimated one.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
smithcomputers
Grafter

Thanks Plusnettony I will watch for the fault ticket updating as I would like to go on the ADSL platform as I used to get much better speeds on there, I will attach a DSLstats grab with what I was getting the morning of the change to fibre as you will see it is more than double what I can achieve now. The IP change does not matter seeing as I can still have a static IP thanks. Look forward to hearing on the progress. Smiley
@WWWombat You are quite correct the new cab is fairly close to the one you have posted but unfortunately when we first did the check it did not give the cab number so I had no idea where the nearest cab was as I was on Full MPF with another supplier so the cab number did not show up until I was connected to fibre. The distance by road as measured this morning in the car is 1.4m so you are very close. Thanks for your help and interest it is much appreciated, I have had nothing but support and help from the plusnet staff and from this forum and for that I say thankyou. Smiley
smithcomputers
Grafter

I have added information to the fault ticket quoting this forum discussion asking to be put on ADSL instead of fibre as you asked. Hopefully it wont take too long to be changed over. I will keep checking this topic for any news.
Many thanks for your help.
   Mike...
Update 27/01/2015 They are now going to send out another engineer as they can see a lot of errors? on the line and instability, not got an appointment as yet but updated fault ticket 98148550 with our availability of every afternoon 1pm to 6pm this week.
With a bit of luck it will be sorted one way or another soon Smiley