cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra upgrade speed now reduced

dabow
Rising Star

Fibre extra upgrade speed now reduced

Upgrade occurred nearly a month ago. Within one week download speed increased to 41Mb/s from previous 36Mb/s. Great!. Upload still poor at 4Mb/s.

A few days ago download speed dropped to 35Mb/s, ie below original speed!!  Upload still poor at 4Mb/s.

An open question exists on this (No. 192262808)  but no one seems to be doing anything about it.

Can someone in Plusnet please take responsibility and attempt to  produce a positive outcome.

28 REPLIES 28
dabow
Rising Star

Re: Fibre extra upgrade speed now reduced

Open question number should read  192262808.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@dabow  how are you measuring your speeds? A speed test or are you looking at synch speeds?

Also, what speeds does your line expect, put your phone number into the DSL Checker?

If your line is only capable of 4Mbps upload, changing to Fibre Extra won't make it magically capable of more!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

It will be interesting to see the dsl checker results. A rule of thumb.suggests that there won't be much advantage in upgrading. You can't expect the upload to be any different as it's nowhere near the 40/10 limit.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch @dabow.

I'll get the open ticket chased up and updated for you shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dabow
Rising Star

Thanks everyone for your replies.

For reference the DSL summary is below:

Range A    49.9H    35L       8.3H    5.6L

Range B    48.7H    31.3L     8.2H   5.1L 

I only upgraded to "extra" since my original contract was ending and this was the best financial offer available after a bit of telephone "horse trading" with PN.

I was not really expecting a "magical uprating " of speeds  from my very constant 36Mb/s / 4Mb/s that I have had for the last 18months. When  the 41Mb/s appeared for the last three weeks I was pleased. The 4Mb/s download I have always considered below par and this has not altered. It seems to be noticeably below the minimum of 5Mb/s  that is suggested  I should achieve.

When the download dropped a few days ago to 35Mb/s , ie below what I was originally getting I was a bit dismayed., hence my posts.

Lets hope they can trace this peculiarity.

dabow
Rising Star

Thanks Matthew, I will look forward to your reply.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @dabow.

I've provided an update to the ticket.

If you can let us know once you've responded we'll get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dabow
Rising Star

Hi Matthew,

I have responded in the ticket with time slots for an engineer visit.

Thanks.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @dabow,

Thanks for getting back to us. I've updated the fault now confirming the appointment slot we've booked in. Please let us know if you have any further queries and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
dabow
Rising Star

Hello Plusnet Team,

The change in download speed  referred to previously has been overcome . I am at present receiving 44Mb/s download speeds. 

The attending engineer identified that there was no "electrical or wiring problem " at my end and that the problem was a "limiting or throttling "action that had been put on the system limiting the profile to 36Mb/s.. This should have been identified by Plusnet at a much earlier stage and corrected thus negating the need for an engineer's visit. A significant waste of resources.

My upload speed is still only barely 4Mb/s which I consider to be poor since the profile of the line is up to 20Mb/s going by the BT test, but it's beginning to look as though I will have to live with that figure due to the limitations put on upload speeds.

I feel it important to emphasize that there is obviously significant room for more training in front-line staff to identify relatively straight forward "faults"  rather than waste time of engineers on the ground, which this particular case has shown.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @dabow.

You're right in your assertion that the banding should have been picked up on and we'll ensure that relevant feedback is left with the department in question. It's worth noting, though, that we would have had to arrange for an engineer to remove fibre banding as we unfortunately aren't able to remove it remotely.

I'd recommend keeping an eye on the speed over the next 24 hours - you should notice it steadily increase. I'll run a further GEA test at this time tomorrow and update you here with my findings.

Please let us know if you need anything else in the meantime.

dabow
Rising Star

Thanks OP for your reply and comments.

My recollection of events when the engineer was here ,was that he contacted someone in Plusnet  (after the necessary electrical checks etc) and that person then identified there was in fact "limiting/banding" applied and then carried out the " unbanding " within Plusnet, so your comments about an engineer necessary to carry it out seemed not to follow that pattern.

However, I will monitor the speeds over time, as you suggest and hope that whoever limited me back to 36Mb/s originally does not do it again !!

Regards.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to me @dabow.

That's certainly strange - as the process for banding is to raise an engineer visit but I will certainly look into that and hopefully provide an answer when I update re: your speeds.

dabow
Rising Star

Hello Plusnet Help Team.

We seem to be sliding into the old previous situation again where my download speeds are deteriorating.

After the engineer visit on Aug 5 , as previously mentioned, the banding was removed  and I have enjoyed 44.5Mb/s speeds  constantly until a few days ago. Using a BT test , the  IP profile has dropped to 40Mb/s and actual speed achieved 37.5Mb/s. Can anyone explain what is happening here, and why we are back almost at square one which prompted my initial complaint at the beginning of August ?

Would be glad of any help you can supply.