cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

FIXED
Philly112
Dabbler

Re: Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

Thanks for the reply.

The router was installed 9th May. I tested the speed straight away, (55Mbps, seconds after it was installed) and many times following. Stayed at 55Mbps rock solid until 4th June, there was no 'spike' and no 'settling in'.

DLM was reset 4th June. 63 Mbps seconds afterwards. Rock solid at 63Mbps until 23rd June and I pressed the router reset button, then 55Mbps until now. I have never seen any variation, with almost daily tests. No variations at different times of the day either.

But if that's it, well, I'll need to accept it of course, it's not the end of the world. I'm obviously not overly happy that the maximum speeds I now see are exactly the same as the guaranteed minimum! I had always assumed that a guaranteed minimum would be WAY below what was achievable!

Many thanks again for the fast replies.

Philly112
Dabbler

Hi guys...

I'm sorry to bother you again! I can accept that my line can only go so fast, so it's not about that. Except:

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 10/05/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:17:41
6. Data rate: 20000 / 47886
7. Maximum data rate: 28096 / 68558
8. Noise margin: 10.6 / 9.6
9. Line attenuation: 14.6 / 14.5
10. Signal attenuation: 14.6 / 14.6
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-7CJM2.4G
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-7CJM5G
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

The line is now syncing as per the above, and we are getting a few disconnections. The phone line has also been incredibly noisy these past few days. Is there any work going on locally that would explain this? You will see that the last disconnection was 17 minutes before the above snapshot.

Many thanks again for looking into this for us.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Philly112, I've tested your line today but nothing's being picked up that may have caused this, though can see you encountered a few drops yesterday.

Can you get your equipment connected into your test socket and if the issue persists, we may need to arrange another engineer. I've updated the fault ticket here, let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Philly112
Dabbler

Hi Lauren.

Thanks for the reply. The last disconnect last night was me restarting the router, and it came on and synced back at 59000. I have connected the line to the test socket and it again synced at the same speed, which is fine. The phone line now appears noise free; I've asked the family to let me know how it sounds to them as they make and receive calls in the next week or so.

What do I need to do now? Just carry on and monitor it? Can I leave it connected to the test socket indefinitely, or should I switch it back after a few days or something?

Cheers

Phil

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Philly112, thanks for getting back to us.

I'd advise to monitor for another 24 hours or so to make sure the connection and noise has definitely gone when in this set-up. If this is the case then it would point the problem to be caused by something currently ruled out by the set-up which could be the face plate, internal wiring, and extension socket or something plugged into an extension. Once the 24 hours or so has passed and if the issue still hasn't returned I'd start my going back to your old set-up and seeing if the problem returns for starters as simply unplugging connections and filters etc... can sometimes remove built up static which may have been the problem.
If the noise and speed issues return in the original set-up then in order to find out what's caused the problem we'd advise to begin by replacing the faceplate as this is the least costly first thing to rule out and these can be purchased from most electronic retailers. If the problem persists with a new face plate then the next step we'd advise is looking into hiring a local 3rd party phone engineer to come and investigate your internal wiring/extension sockets.
By all means if you chose to leave your set-up in the test socket then this wouldn't negatively impact the connection but would mean your extension sockets aren't connected (if you used them).