cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

but of course if my wiring is rusting away outside my house I guess I should get it looked at! 

Just as a heads up, you're not responsible for maintaining the wiring/line outside of your property. By damage I was referring to physical damage for example caused by building or garden works. 

Cheers -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Philly112
Dabbler

Hi again!
We've been monitoring our connection over the past few days. Whilst speeds are consistently the same as before, we have noticed some buffering on BBC iPlayer and Netflix which we never experienced previously and surely shouldn't be happening with 55Mbps. This is with a wired connection to the TV. If possible, we'd like to get the engineer out to check the connection, something's definitely wrong, and I'd rather get to the bottom of it now we've had time to live with it a bit. Thanks again in advance, let me know if I need to report the fault again.
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Philly112

As the previous fault timed out, can you raise a new fault for me HERE

As before, If you can respond over here once you've done this we'll pick this back up as soon as we can and progress the fault further for the engineer booking. 

Philly112
Dabbler

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the fast response (faster than my reply!).

I've raised the fault, and await further instructions.

Cheers, Phil

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Philly112,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've picked up the fault and sent a further request on the same ticket to take some availability for an engineer.

Again, if you can respond to the ticket and then reply here when you have done so, either myself or one of my colleagues will make the booking for you.

Philly112
Dabbler

Hi Matt, I've replied with 3 available dates.

Thanks 

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Hi there @Philly112

Thanks again for your reply. I've got the appointment booked in for Tuesday 4th June, 1pm-6pm. I've also sent the confirmation via the the open fault ticket on your account. Please let us know if this needs rearranging.

If you need anything further, please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Philly112
Dabbler

Hi chaps.

Just to report back, the Openreach engineer came round last week on time. He did some checks etc, and could not find anything wrong with my wiring or the street copper wiring. He then said that my speed would be limited to 54Mb or so, and it was usual for it to start at 70mb and drop to whatever the line can support. I informed him that it had been 54-55Mb the entire time, and had NEVER been anything higher. Which is true, I tested 30 seconds after the router was installed! I asked him if it would be possible to reset the line and see what happened. He was reluctant to do this, but he did. The line is now synching at 67Mb, and download speeds are around 62/63Mb (uploads are all consistently 18Mb). 

Anyway, that's all fine - I have little confidence in the OR guy who came round, I mean, I know little to nothing about this, but it was my suggestion that resolved whatever issue I had. He couldn't explain it  - he said that this new sync of 67Mb would drop back down to 54Mb, which is why I waited 10 days to revert back. Anyway, it seems stable, and we've had no disconnections or anything.

Thank you for your help, and I was also impressed with the call I received earlier this week asking if everything went OK. A much more professional and efficient service than a certain other well know brand sharing their initials with the Isle Of Man bike races.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Philly112,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm sorry to hear of the poor experience that you had with the engineer and I'll pass on feedback to our suppliers about this. It's odd that they've said that your speed will drop back down as this shouldn't be the case. Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further problems with your connection.

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding the call that you received from us earlier this week - I'll pass this on to the advisor that you spoke to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Philly112
Dabbler

I'm afraid I am having further problems. We have been experiencing intermittent wifi issues. These have actually been going on for the whole time with plusnet, but we have put up with them, they weren't terrible. I have switched the router on and off one or twice, and that seemed to resolve the problem. Note that the ethernet was fine and stable, with speeds of 63Mbps since the engineer visit.

This past weekend we had no wifi for some period again (not long, maybe 15-20 mins), so I 'reset' the router. The wifi appears to be back, but we noticed a drop in ethernet speeds to 55Mbps. I have now checked the router, and it is back syncing at 59Mbps, well below the 69 it was for the past few weeks since the engineer came round. Would me pressing the 'reset' button on the router have done anything to the line sync speed?

So essentially I am back where I started. I realise that you might well say that 55 is above the  minimum of 54. But my line is capable of more than that, and 55 is simply not good enough for our uses, I might as well have stayed at lower speeds and saved some money.

Many thanks - oh, and yes, we are concerned about the wifi drop outs as well!

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Philly112,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues.

Restarting the router can temporarily increase the throughput (speed you see when running a performance test) or sync rate and this is due to either DLM changes taking affect that would only do so once the router is rebooted or devices are reconnecting then start to use the bandwidth shortly after.

The engineer has confirmed that you are getting the correct speed of 59Mbps and this is above the minimum guaranteed access line speed of 56.4Mbps albeit lower than the estimates.

Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz / 5GHz frequency bands and changing the wireless channel to avoid interference? If you haven't, I have included a guide on how to do this below.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254 

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Philly112
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. I had already split the wireless into 2.5 and 5, so I'll have a look at changing the channels.

Re the engineer comments, I'm confused. 

The engineer came round, and reset something at the cabinet. And my sync speed went from 59 to 67. And my actual speeds went from around 54/55 to 63. That's fine. I can accept that.

The sync speed is now back at 59 following my reset, and the actual speeds are back at 54/55. The engineer is incorrect. The sync speed when he left was 67. It was 67 until yesterday. Now it is 59. If you're saying that my minimum speed is 56.4, well, we're back at where this thread started! (although I'm getting 55, not 56.4...). If that's all you think I can get, you need to explain why since 4th June the line was supporting a higher speed up until yesterday when I reset the router.

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @Philly112

We've retested your line and we can see that whilst the speeds have dropped there is no obvious cause showing for this.

It may be that when your router lost connection there was a bit of noise which caused the speed to drop. If you try rebooting the router again then the speeds may increase

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Philly112
Dabbler

Hi, I've rebooted the router with no difference ie it's still syncing at 59, speeds still around 55.

This is really not what I wanted to be honest. I took on the faster fibre expecting more than this. I was OK when the line was syncing at 67, not perfect, but OK, but all I did was follow some instructions on resetting the router to help with the wifi connection, (obviously a mistake on my part) and I'm back where I started a few weeks ago! With no hope of an engineer to come and reset anything, as when he came round he found no problems.

I realise that you probably think it's only a 10% drop in speed from 63 to 55, but it's not really enough when a few of us are using streaming services.

How do I get my line back syncing where it was 2 days ago?

Thanks

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there @Philly112,

I'm sorry for the ongoing inconvenience. I'm afraid that as your line is syncing within expectations there is little else we can do.

As @Jubby previously mentioned, a DLM reset will cause a sudden spike in throughput and then it will settle into normality.

As part of the DLM reset the engineer performed you may notice your speeds fluctuate over the next few days as it retrains to its standard. This will be why you saw the increase a few days ago.

Your minimum guaranteed speeds are 54.6Mbps and you are showing as in sync at 59Mbps. It would appear that your line is not capable of performing any faster I'm afraid.