cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

FIXED
Philly112
Dabbler

Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

My service started two weeks ago, and went smoothly, apart from one disconnection after a couple of days. As we all do, the first thing I conducted was a speed test. It was 53mbps. I have done one or two a day since then, and downloads are always 53-54Mb, and uploads around 16Mb. When signing up, I was not given a guaranteed minimum speed, only that I would be given this after a couple of weeks. I received an email today with this:

Estimated peak time speeds:
Download: 60 - 72Mb
Upload: 17 - 18Mb
These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.
Current line speed: 78Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 54.6Mb
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

Now, I have never been above 54Mb, and never below 52Mb, regardless of the time of day. 

I'm not necessarily complaining, but something doesn't seen right to me.

I know very little about what the below means, but here is a copy of some information from the router which may help.

6. Data rate:
20000 / 58350
7. Maximum data rate:
26510 / 68549
8. Noise margin:
10.2 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation:
13.8 / 13.8
10. Signal attenuation:
13.8 / 13.8

Many thanks in advance of any assistance or information you can give me.

34 REPLIES 34
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Fibre extra speed 'issue' (after 2 weeks)

Hi @Philly112 

Welcome to the forums! 

I've tested your circuit and can confirm that your router is syncing at a speed of 58.3Mbps Download & 20.0Mbps Upload. 

This is above the minimum guaranteed speed as per the info you received. 

Now, I have never been above 54Mb, and never below 52Mb, regardless of the time of day. 

Are these speeds being recorded on a Wired or Wireless connections? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Philly112
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the speedy reply! The speeds are all recorded with a wired connection using Ookla.

I've just done another one, 53.6Mb download and 18Mb upload. They're all remarkably consistent.

Re the line synching at 58.3Mb... are you saying that the minimum guaranteed speed is also practically the same as the maximum? 

I had a Talk Talk faster fibre contract a couple of years ago, and was never below around 65Mb, and often over 70Mb. I simply don't understand why the PlusNet service is a fair bit slower, although it does appear to be consistently slower!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for the reply @Philly112 

Re the line synching at 58.3Mb... are you saying that the minimum guaranteed speed is also practically the same as the maximum? 

The sync rate you are getting is not the maximum, but it is above the Minimum Guaranteed. Your sync rate may improve if you plug into your Test Socket - you can find out how to do this here

In regards to the throughput speed you are noticing on your LAN connections, are you turning off the wifi on other devices to restricting anything sapping bandwidth when you are testing? 

please plug into the test socket and run a wired test with no devices connected to your Wireless. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Philly112
Dabbler

Hi MoR

The router is always plugged into the master phone socket.

However, the router power plug was plugged into a powerline adapter that I use. I unplugged that and plugged the router directly into the socket. On rebooting, I tested 56Mb.  All other devices, phones etc, were switched off. Now, I need the powerline adapter, so I replugged it as it was, and still got 56Mb. My router stats have also changed a little (this is after I replugged in the powerline, so same as before).

5. DSL uptime:
0 days, 00:22:15
6. Data rate:
20000 / 60257
7. Maximum data rate:
28239 / 69689
8. Noise margin:
10.0 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation:
14.2 / 14.1
10. Signal attenuation:
14.1 / 14.1
11. Data sent/received:
87.7 MB / 214.1 MB

I have no idea if any of this is significant, (I presume it's changed as a result of rebooting the router, and the powerline is a red herring), but thank you for your help anyway!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

As your line speed is below the estimates of your line of 65mbps I'd recommend raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net. If you can let us know over here once you've done this we'll pick this back up as soon as we can and arrange an engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Philly112
Dabbler

I will do. I had a quick look and it seems like I need to go through a series of checks, speed tests etc at different times of the day. That's not a problem, but it will be a day or so before I can get this done.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem. I actually wouldn't bother with running speedtests to be honest as the issue you're experiencing seems to be somewhere between the cabinet(the green box in the road) and your router.

If your router is in the test socket then I'd report the fault as the next step after that would be to arrange an engineer. 

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Philly112
Dabbler

Cheers, I've raised the fault and will await further instructions.

I'd like to thank you for the help so far. The response time here is excellent. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the feedback and kind words, I've added a reply to your fault ticket now which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=190461984

Feel free to nudge us again once you've responded or if you have any questions and we'll be happy to pick this back up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Philly112
Dabbler

Hi Anoush.

On reflection, I've closed the ticket.

At the end of the day, I appear to be getting a stable 55Mbps connection. The risk of being charged £65 is too great, as my speed is just above the guaranteed minimum as has been pointed out. And it's not worth it for another 10Mbps.

I can't see what's wrong at my end, there's nothing wrong with my wiring or socket, but the risks outweigh the rewards.

I'll obviously continue to monitor the speeds, but as long as they remain consistent at around 55Mb, I'll take that for now.

Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me. No problem, to be honest if you've done the troubleshooting steps we've asked and you don't miss the appointment, the chance we'll charge for the visit would be minimal.

It's worth noting that we robustly defend all engineer charges before/if accepting them and we'll only pass it on to you if absolutely valid, this process can generally take up to 90 days following a fault investigation closing.

In your case we know there's a problem somewhere and using the test socket would rule out any internal wiring and if there's no damage to the Openreach equipment or wiring on your property then the fault is very likely going to be outside.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Philly112
Dabbler

Thanks. What I'll do is monitor it for a bit and decide what to do in a couple of weeks. Do I need to close this now, and then start a new chat in a few weeks if I feel it necessary?  I can live with these speeds, they're really not a problem, but of course if my wiring is rusting away outside my house I guess I should get it looked at! 

Thanks

Phil

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Phil, I can understand that. I around 52mbps in my house and I find that perfect for what myself and my housemates do.

As this is a public forum, this thread will stay visible for pretty much forever unless we start archiving threads although I believe after a certain period of time it'll auto-lock, however if that happens feel free to create a new thread in the future if you have any further issues. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Just pointing something out

The router is always plugged into the master phone socket.

The master socket and the test point within the master socket are two different things. If you don't use any phone extensions then you could always use a microfilter in the test point whilst you monitor things. If using the master socket and the test point don't show any marked differences, then keep it neat and use the master socket.

I have no idea if any of this is significant, (I presume it's changed as a result of rebooting the router, and the powerline is a red herring)

I'd guess to say this is significant. PLA's can affect the connection. From my own 'testing', when I plugged my routers power supply into the PLA it did affect my connection. Also the routers own power supply plug can cause issues too. Why do you think the power lead itself is so long....;)