cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra speed after phone fault

avanklav
Hooked

Fibre extra speed after phone fault

There was a problem with my phone line which was corrected by Openreach last Wednesday. But my broadband speed is now less than half of what it was - I’m getting a download speed of 9.35Mbps whereas it should be between 20 and 30 MBps. I’ve tried turning off the router, pressing the reset button and leaving it for 30 minutes but that has made no difference. Is there anything else which can be done or will the connection speed improve by itself over the next few days?

8 REPLIES 8
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Fibre extra speed after phone fault

Hi @avanklav 

You're certainly not syncing at Fibre speeds at the moment - I can see just over 9Mbps. No faults have been identified that would cause this.

Can you set your connection into the test socket as described here and the run a wired speed test please? 

Let us know the results. 

Thanks, 

MoR

avanklav
Hooked

Ok, I’ve done that. Much better result: download speed 25.2. Upload 4.87. Ping 40.
This is roughly the download speed I was getting before things went wrong last week.
Let me know what’s best to do now.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @avanklav 

That's more like it - that speed is within your DSL Checker estimates and also above your Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 19Mbps. 

It looks like you are one of the rare cases where the faceplate of your master socket is causing the issue. You can purchase a new one of these ant most hardware / electrical stores for under a pound in most cases. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

avanklav
Hooked

Ok, thanks I’ll try that. The Openreach engineer fitted a new front plate this week so that may well be the problem. I’ll let you know if it doesn’t solve things.

avanklav
Hooked

Hi, I’ve changed the front plate of the Open Reach box but it’s made no difference. I’ve also tried disconnecting all phones/Sky boxes but that only gave marginal improvements. This morning the speed on both the test socket and the normal connection is down to 8.47Mbps. When I go the BT speedtester diagnostic tool, it shows the IP profile for my line is 8.47. Is this the problem - presumably because of how often the router has been disconnected in the last 10 days? Can it be reset? I’ve attached a screenshot if it helps.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @avanklav

I've reset your profile from this side - you're right that frequent disconnections can drive the speed down.

Could you please perform a speed test via a wired connection and let us know the outcome?

Best wishes

Dave

avanklav
Hooked

Thanks - That’s significantly better - it’s 20.24 download; 4.71 upload and ping 43.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know @avanklav 

Give us a yell if we can ever be of more assistance. 

All the best, 

MoR