Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra slow download speed

therealmadrid
Hooked

Fibre extra slow download speed

Hi, 

My tenant is reporting poor download speeds (max 5mps) to download an microsoft iso from microsoft website using chrome. 

Also reporting other slow downloads across the board - never seen a download speed better than 5mbps. 

They can a wired test and it said 70 mbps - GREAT
Also ran a wifi test - 6.88 mbps (not good) 

Yet absolutely crippled downloading anything when it comes to it, works as a music producer so downloading music, songs, files - from drop box, mediafile, other share, chrome etc. 

They use wired connection. Can anyone have a look into this and any ideas - what the point in paying for the top package when none of these speeds are evident when you actually come to want to use them. 

*note saved link was sent to phone - hence phone image

9 REPLIES 9
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Fibre extra slow download speed

Hiya @therealmadrid, I'm really sorry for the issues being experienced with your tenants service.

I have tested the line today has detected an external phone line fault and could be the likely cause of the issues being seen. I have now raised this to our suppliers for further investigation and we can expect to have further updates within 48-72 hours, though it may be resolved before then.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this causes in the meantime.

I have created a fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=217999083

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
therealmadrid
Hooked

This did work for a while - but tenant reporting poor download speeds again.

4.26 download speeds - mostly notable slowness on Ipad and iphones. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @therealmadrid, thanks for getting back to us. I am really sorry the issues with the service have returned, I have tested the line today and this hasn't detected any faults and we are seeing a sync speed of 76.3mb.

Are they seeing similar speeds over a wired connection too, or is this just over WiFi? If only the WiFi speeds are affected, I can amend some of the routers wireless settings to split the wireless frequencies, to try and help with this for them. Please just confirm if you would like me to do this?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
therealmadrid
Hooked

The issue is with wifi wireless decives (iphone ipads). The flat is tiny as well! Basically sat on the router

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @therealmadrid

There's loads of factors which can affect the WiFi signal even though your flat is small and you're right next to the router

Can you ask your tenant to give the steps Here a go? As per Lauren's response though if they're happy with it we can make the changes on their behalf, we'd ask rather than just do it because it can cause the devices to disconnect and they'd then need to reconnect to the wireless afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
therealmadrid
Hooked

HI, 

Spoke with tenants and passed that information on. They replied they are getting 2 bards out of 3 on their phone when standing right next to the router. 

iPad had the same problem, the wifi inconsistent with speed and strength, its not being blocked by any appliances either. Cabled speeds are great still, just wifi issue. 

Can someone go round and check?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @therealmadrid,

I'm sorry to hear that there are still some issues with the Wi-Fi network there. I've just had a look at the router settings and it doesn't seem like the networks have been split. I can do this from our end of things if you'd like?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
therealmadrid
Hooked

Yes please
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @therealmadrid. I've carried out this process now, so the residents should see their normal Wi-Fi network (which will be the 2.4GHz banding) and an additional one with the same name, but with "_5GHz" at the end of it (this one being the 5GHz banding, obviously). Hopefully this helps improve the wireless experience, but please let us know if there are any issues and we'll be happy to help out.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team