cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra not working as it should

LF
Dabbler

Fibre extra not working as it should

When I was on fibre unlimited (40/10) my DSL line status stats were downstream 40,000 and upstream 9,999.  I am only 50 feet or so from the local fibre cabinet/exchange.  In the last week I have upgraded to fibre unlimited extra (80/20).  My DSL line status stats are now downstream 69,956 and upstream 19,999.  Could Plusnet please immediately change my upstream figure to 80,000 as it should have been in the first place?

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 78Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-23 16:37:00

Current line speed:67.4 Mb

I've just done a BT speed test and it shows a download speed of 240.18 with an IP profile of 67.71!  Something is clearly very wrong.

27 REPLIES 27
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Fibre extra not working as it should

The silly BT result is due to the browser you are using. Try again using either Edge or Internet Explorer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What router are you using? Does it give you an attainable sync rate in the xDSL stats somewhere?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LF
Dabbler

I'm using a BT Homehub 5, which shows data rate as 19,999/ 69,956 and maximum data rate 28,194/ 84,902.  I hope this helps.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No doubt you've tried, but just to be sure, have you rebooted the router since the regrade?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

LF
Dabbler

Yes I have! And the PC.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ok, hopefully Openreach's DLM systems will adjust upwards over the coming days. Failing that, I see you've opened a fault ticket so somebody will pick that up soon if things don't settle. The DSL parameters on FTTC are not something we have direct control over so we'll need to engage our suppliers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You've not by any chance paid for a fixed IP address? I ask because whilst the Plusnet profile is pretty irrelevant on dynamic IP addresses it does control the static ones. Some Plusnet agents are not aware of this distinction.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LF
Dabbler

Thanks, but this move has not gone well.  First I wasn't switched over when I should have been and had to phone Plusnet to get it actioned and then second, I've been put onto the wrong speed.  This happened when I moved from ADSL to fibre, too, so I'm not very happy

LF
Dabbler

Thanks for the idea, but I haven't paid for a fixed IP address.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We haven't 'put you on the wrong speed'. As mentioned in my last post, the rate your modem negotiates with your cab is entirely outside of our control in this situation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

LF
Dabbler

The situation hasn't improved over the last three days and so I am still not getting the speed I paid for.  I'm sure there's something Plusnet can do to remedy the situation.  As I said previously, this has happened before.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You have paid for "Up to" 78Mbps, which you are getting. DLM may well increase your speeds over the next few days, you just need to be patient. 

Are you having problems?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

From what I can see we've definitely provisioned you on to 80/20.

Your circuit is also in sync at a downstream rate of 70mbps and upstream of 20mbps.

Can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com via Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end?

This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LF
Dabbler

I've done the speedtest again.  The problem is that it's provisioned at 70 instead of the 80 which my line is capable of.  I'm fed up with being fobbed off - things like "wait a while and the speed will increase" - when I know that it needs to be set correctly at the exchange.  Hopefully someone will be doing it shortly.  Why do Plusnet prevaricate like this?  Is it because they have to pay Openreach to correct the situation?