cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra download slower than upload

jontybroxholme

Fibre extra download slower than upload

I have been a customer of Plusnet for several years and never experienced any significant problems. In February 2020 I upgraded to fibre extra and the service has been stable and reliable. Suddenly a few weeks ago I lost the connection and after reporting the problem to Plusnet, a BT Open Reach engineer was dispatched. After two attempts they fixed the connection - tone on the phone. Since then my broadband service has been slow, specifically the download speed , which dropped from 35 to 40 Mbps to 13.9 Mbps! The upload is fine, steady at 18Mbps.

I have contacted the support services on the telephone three times (requiring a waiting time of over 20 mins each call) and they check the line from their end and tell me everything is fine...speeds are within expectations. I have been through all the obvious checks, resetting the router several times and checking speeds over Wi-Fi and ethernet using BT wholesale speed test on laptop and phone, getting the same result every time. My installation is relatively simple and undemanding and has not changed in any way.

Every time I speak to a customer service agent they tell me they will sort out the problem but as soon as the phone goes down that's it! No follow up, no nothing. I feel as though I've been abandoned. I don't have spare routers to try substitution and I don't know what to do next.

1 REPLY 1
ironmonk

Re: Fibre extra download slower than upload

I've had issues recently and have been unable to get a response. Sitting on hold for over 30 minutes, no response to tickets I've opened up. I had a similar issue in September which seemed to resolve itself when the fault was looked into. It only took them 3 days to look into the issue, but this time the fault seems to be worse and there is seemingly no way of contacting them or getting a response in a reasonable timeframe. I might call it quits and move on to another company.