cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre dropping connection over past 3 months

fastonebaz
Grafter

Fibre dropping connection over past 3 months

Long time plusnet customer.  I have fibre.  My routers are connected to the master socket.  I have some wired and some wireless connections to my devices.

I've found over the past 3 months or so our internet connection keeps dropping across all our devices at the same time (wired and wireless) indicating the internet/router has gone down rather than just the wifi signal being weak.  Today, it seemed to be out for 30mins before I restarted the router.

When this happens, I wait for a while to see if it corrects itself (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't) and then i have to turn off the router, wait a minute and turn it on and shortly after, internet service is restored.

My router is normally on 24/7/365.

My router is the "plusnet hub one".  Other than these outtages over past 3 months or so the service has been fine.

Are there any known faults in my area/with my router/on my line?

Can you detect anything from my router logs?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
ritz1
Dabbler

Re: Fibre dropping connection over past 3 months

What colour is the led when "the router goes down"?

Does the broadband actually go down? Can you check the logs and report back?

fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi

I've been monitoring it.  What happens is that my wired (ethernet) devices have no problem with the internet, but all my wireless devices continually suffer from wifi connection issues, or performance degradation.  It seems like there is a fault in the router relating to wifi.  I experience the loss of connectivity on various and multiple devices simultaneously - laptops, phones, tablets.

It's as though the router just loses it's ability to broadcast wifi - or that it has some caching problem were it gets full and can't handle any more wifi traffic.

After a good 30 minutes of inability to connect to wifi I restart the router and its fine again, until a couple of days later where the same problem occurs again.  This last happened last night between 9pm and midnight.

I live in a modern house with thin plasterboard walls, the router is nicely exposed with no other gadgets near it.  All my gadgets connect fine to other wifi (e.g. at other peoples houses/work).  My router has been fine for a couple of years until the problem started in the past few months.  I think the router has a problem and i would like to know:

Can you send me a replacement router?

What other information can I send you to look at?

thanks

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @fastonebaz, I'd give take a look at the info here as it might help out with the WiFi issues you've mentioned https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hi yes I'd tried that previously . There's only 1 other detectable ssid in my location and I've made sure my router is broadcasting on a clear channel.

Once again yesterday between 7 and 9 i had no Wi-Fi until i restarted the router and after that wifi was fine again. Ethernet worked fine throughout.

I think there is a fault with the router.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz networks apart?

Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fastonebaz
Grafter

Hello, @Gandalf yes I have tried splitting out between 2.4 and 5 Ghz and the problem still persists.

Wifi seems find for about a few hours of the day, and then it grinds to a halt and refuses to reconnect from any wifi device.  I have to restart the router and then wifi connects again fine.  It's not at a particular time, or when using a particular device.  It seems like some kind of cache in the router is getting full after a certain amount of usage and then only works again after restarting the router.

FYI, i don't have any Apple devices just a mixture of windows, xbox, tv, hifi and android devices.