cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre dropouts, and bad wifi

Sselby123
Grafter

Re: Fibre dropouts, and bad wifi

No faults found on the phone line apparently, and I can say the internal wires are all new as I brought them new with the new hub I set up on 30th dec. There is something going on and I would like it fixed. I will be calling customer service on Wednesday (48hrs use in test socket)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Sselby123 wrote:
It's a quiet static noise but loud enough that I can hear it and if a noise in the room is made it gets louder if you understand what I mean (I have kids who dont know how to be quiet lol)

Some cordless phones can induce white noise in the hand set, especially if they have background noise cancellation.  If you are able to borrow a corded phone a test with that would help profile the line more clearly.  The no fault found on the phone line report, is simply a statement of what was found at the time of testing - when tested no fault was detected.  That does not eliminate the possibility of an intermittent line fault - typically caused by dampness - which can self rectify by the passage of test / ring currents and voltages applied to the line.

Keep checking the line for noise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 265

Deleted - hadn't seen above reply, which makes sense.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thank you @RealAleMadrid - I'd overlooked the fact hat the OP's upstream speed has been banded.

@jab1 I do understand where you're coming from in terms of  raising a phone fault, though we'd raise a broadband fault in this scenario, as tests aren't picking up on any issues with the phone service, whereas the OP's speeds and drops do look suspicious. No one is denying an issue with the line as it stands, though it's process to ask customers to carry out their own checks through their test socket before raising the matter with Openreach, especially when tests aren't picking up anything.

I'll stick to what I said before, to see how the connection fairs over the next 48 hours through the test socket, even though an RRT clearly shows fluctuating speeds and drops. If these don't improve, well definitely get a fault raised.

Going back to the banded upstream speed as well, the engineer should rectify this is booked in, if not, we'll raise it on our end.

No need to contact customer services @Sselby123, you can let us know on here and we'll get it raised. Smiley

Capture.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Sselby123
Grafter

Thankyou Adam, we did have a very brief dropout at around 3pm , it didnt however drop out enough to make me reset the hub. Both wired and wireless froze/buffered and said no connection to network, my phone was displaying "connected, with no internet" as normal when we get these dropouts.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thanks for getting back to us @Sselby123

I'm sorry to see you're still having connection issues while in the test socket and apologies for contradicting here. As your phone's crackling, it's worth arranging further Openreach engineer visit to take another look without waiting.

Also even though line tests aren't showing an issue, I think the engineer we arrange should be raised as a phone fault. If you're still having the same issues afterwards then we can look at booking another broadband engineer. 

Could you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be available for a visit? If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sselby123
Grafter

Well here we are on Wednesday, a engineer is coming tomorrow morning for the phone line fault. I have been running through the test socket for 48 hrs and only experienced one small dropout that affected us, and havent noticed anything else. My speeds coming through are still slow 31mps download and 6.1mps upload. I'm still thinking it could be a master socket issue too aswell as what you have seen
Sselby123
Grafter

Scrap that! Total loss of broadband, hub turned red, phone still had a dial tone
Sselby123
Grafter

A other dropout hub red again what is going on?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to see you're still having connection issues.

I'm afraid it's hard to say what's causing this until an engineer's been out. It's worth noting though that some faults can be a little intermittent, which means that your service may work occasionally fine but then it may stop working. 

Let us know how it goes once the engineer's been.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sselby123
Grafter

Well engineer has been and gone, he checked phone line all clear, he did further testing that he didnt need too, and found I can only get 50mps to my home and I lose a small amount of speed from exchange to master socket. He checked my DSL line which checked fine. So given the fact I can only get max of 50mps I'm currently paying for a package I cannot get!. I will be paying very close attention to any dropouts now as it will be a broadband issue. Also he checked my master socket and there is no fault there either.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sight of the router stats would be interesting.

Do not confuse no fault found at time of engineer visit with there being no fault whatsoever.  If the DLM is managing the line speed, it will be doing so for a reason.

Does the router you use lend itself to being monitored with something like routerstats?  See the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sselby123
Grafter

No idea townman, I'm not very computer tech. All I know is I have a plusnet hub one, with a netgear nighthawk r7000 connected for a wifi booster. I will see if my son can bring up that page on his pc and see if we could set it up?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The Plusnet Hub One is a rebadged BT HH5a for which there is a special version of RouterStats.

Running that 24x7 might shine some light on what is happening on the line.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm really sorry to see you're still having issues after the engineer visit.

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues now with your connection staying stable since the visit.

Appreciate though your speeds around 5mbps below where we'd expect of between 55mbps to 74.3mbps as shown Here, they're above the minimum guaranteed still we've agreed when you signed up. 

Is your line still noisy? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet