cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre contract and Hub but ADSL modem connector?

Haylhoo
Dabbler

Fibre contract and Hub but ADSL modem connector?

Confused, so best to ask!

After mentioning to a friend that we've been having issues (connection dropping out and now very slow speeds - awaiting another engineer visit) he took a look and questioned how we could be on fibre if our router is connected via an ADSL modem micro filter (we've literally just plugged it in along with our new Plusnet Hub which we ordered to rule out router issues). Can anyone advise please?

I've no idea how these things work but obviously want to know when I'm paying for fibre. Thanks

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Haylhoo
Dabbler

Re: Fibre contract and Hub but ADSL modem connector?

P.s we are ina semi rural area where Virgin has not yet reached, but BT claim to offer fibre broadband also. 

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

ADSL microfilters are fine for VDSL.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

If an open reach engineer installed he would put a new faceplate that has a filter built in, so this may be what your friend has

http://phil.lavin.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fttc-faceplate.jpg

Self install you just get he filter to plug into the phone socket to do the same thing
In fact, some models like the hub1 have the same connection to the phone socket for adsl and vdsl too!

Could be a faulty filter causing drop outs but lots of other possible problems too so good you have an engineer coming out - but don't worry about the filter question from your friend, things have moved on from how they used to be!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What you have is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) which uses your telephone line for the last part of the connection.

There's a good description of FTTC on Kitz's website here.

Haylhoo
Dabbler

Thank you all, that explains it perfectly! Thumbs_Up