cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre constantly cutting out

jeneroo
Hooked

Fibre constantly cutting out

Our Internet is constantly cutting out throughout the day, even so much as five times in an hour. Restarting doesn't seem to help and all the wires are in correctly. Tends to keep taking me to hub manager to then sign in and then it connects. Any help to fix this issue?
14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Fibre constantly cutting out

@jeneroo  Welcome to the forum.

Is it the hub that’s disconnecting and the lights indicating a fault or the wireless signal dropping out? What precisely are you having to re-enter?

Either way the first thing to try is a factory reset of your hub. Push a paperclip or similar in the reset hole. Hold the switch closed for about 30 seconds. It will then take several minutes to set itself up again from scratch.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jeneroo,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with the connection lately. I've tested the line this morning and whilst I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause, we can definitely see that there's an underlying fault at play here. Before we proceed any further, please could you set the router up within the Test Socket in the property and let us know once you've done so? I'd like to rerun the test I've just done once that change has been made to see if it makes any difference on our end of things.

We have a guide on how to set the router up within the Test Socket, here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jeneroo
Hooked

Hi @TheMightyAJ,
We have looked but we don't have a test socket. The router is connected to the master socket that comes in from outside but when we removed the face plate of it, there wasn't a test socket inside.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@jeneroo How old is the main socket? Could you post a picture? For your information, so far as I know, ALL master sockets have a test socket behind the faceplate.

John
jeneroo
Hooked

Hi @jab1 

As far as I know the sockets have never been replaced and we've been in the house for 20+ years. I've added the below photos. There are a couple other sockets in the house but they have been disconnected over the years, but also look like the below and are all attached to internal walls. This is the only line that comes in directly from the outside.

20220103_113951.jpg20220103_114007.jpg

jab1
Legend

@jeneroo If you unscrew that socket in the second picture - it should be in there. If it isn't, you need Openreach to install a proper master socket. 

John
jeneroo
Hooked

@jab1 as I said, there isn't one in there, but appreciate all the help I can get.
jab1
Legend

OK @jeneroo . You need to get a proper master socket installed. Must admit it didn't look like one, to be honest - more like an extension.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It would be worth taking that faceplate off and inspect the rear of it and the wiring.  One wonders is the drop wire is twisted pairs?

@jeneroo If you trace the wire back through the house and to outside, can you find any junction boxes, possibly with another wire coming out?  Some old installations tee-off other sockets externally, so it would help to verify that this is a master socket.  See here ::. Kitz - BT Phone Sockets .::.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @jeneroo,

Have you had a chance to give @Townman's suggestion a go? If this isn't possible and we're unable to locate a test socket, that's fine - we'll just need to look at arranging an engineer visit to investigate further. I've logged a support ticket on your account regarding this, which can be accessed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jeneroo
Hooked

Thanks @Townman, we looked at the wiring outside but it wasn't going off anywhere else.

Thanks @TheMightyAJ I will look at the ticket now.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @jeneroo, thanks for confirming. I am really sorry for the problems with your service.

I have picked up your ticket and have booked in the engineer for you, with the details on the ticket. Let us know how things go!

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jeneroo
Hooked

Thanks @LaurenB, engineer came and all seems to be resolved now. Haven't had any outages in the last 24hours.

Thanks everyone for your advice/help.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation @jeneroo

Let us know if you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet