cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection worse than copper

pir8ped
Grafter

Fibre connection worse than copper

After my ten days of settling in, my fibre connection remains awful. I have seen a maximum speed of 26 (I think I was guaranteed 35) and I have used speedtest a lot, often to see if there is any connection at all. The attached file showing a speed of less than 1 Mb/s isn't unusual. Commonly, speeds are around 11, which is what I was getting with the copper connection, but the copper connection was more stable. Quite often, the fibre connection cuts out altogether, and the light on the router turns red (and yes, the router is connected to the master phone socket).

My next door neighbour, also with Plusnet FTTC has the same performance, and says he has just given up complaining as he got nowhere (the copper wire between his house and the pole was replaced, but that didn't help). I have 2 neighbours up the road who switched to fibre at the same time as me, with EE, and they both get a steady 35 Mb/s. They are further from the cabinet.

So clearly, Plusnet needs to fix this, or two customers are heading over to EE.

6 REPLIES 6
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Fibre connection worse than copper

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pir8ped
Grafter

Thanks for moving this to the right section.

Any idea when someone from Plusnet might address the problem?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just taken a look into this for you and whereas diagnostic tests show that downstream speeds are currently below estimates, no obvious causes are being flagged up. Please report a fault with us over at http://faults.plus.net as your next step and we'll be able to investigate this further for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pir8ped
Grafter

Thanks. Will do.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet don't offer fibre, only copper based connections

pop your details into the openreach DSL checker ste here to see your expected speeds: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

you should be looking at VDSL ( comes down copper wires)

if you see WBC FTTP then you are in a fibre area, and you may be able to move to an alternative provider that offers fibre connections

Wait to see if plusnet can improve your VDSL connection, and if not and you are in a fibre area and are happy to pay the price for fttp then you may be able to move to EE or BT ( for fibre ) from plusnet without any early termination fees - although this will need checking before you jump

pir8ped
Grafter

Thanks for that. Useful site link.

I thought the term fibre included fibre to the cabinet. I appreciate it's copper the rest of the way. I know what I've got, but I got the terminology wrong.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean)  52.6 35 8.8 6.6 32.4 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)  50.6 32.4 8.6 6 27.4 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 9.5 -- 8 to 11 Available Available Yes
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 9.5 Up to 1 8 to 11 Available Available Yes
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Available Yes
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL ADSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 26.57 15.56
Max Observed Upstream Speed 6.33 0.88
Observed Date 2021-03-12 2021-03-09
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available