Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection gradually slowing down

gree0115
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre connection gradually slowing down

We moved house at the end of Feb 2016, only 3 doors down. Our fibre speed dropped from around 26Mb/s to 21Mb/s in the move. We're a long way from the exchange hence these speeds. We only got 2-3Mb/s on standard BB. We're hosting a SamKnows box and get the monthly stats. I've noticed every month since we've been in the new place our line speed has slowed down, we're now at 15Mb/s. I've raised a fault #128866340, OpenReach came to the house this week but I didn't know they were coming so missed them. They are saying the fault is in the house. I've had the VDSL router in the test socket and the sync speeds never dip below 20Mb/s download and 2Mb/s upload (this has also dropped from 4Mb/s in the previous house, 20 feet down the road). These are the same speeds I get in or out of the test socket, and the connection seems very stable. I've attached the SamKnows (they said they are happy for me to use it) download and upload speed graph. You'll see a large drop when we moved house, and our IP Profile was set to 2Mb/s for a day which is why it's initially at that point. With such a stable sync speed, does it sound like a wiring fault?

2 REPLIES 2
Andrue
Pro

Re: Fibre connection gradually slowing down

@gree0115 wrote:

We're a long way from the exchange hence these speeds.

Fibre broadband is only affected by distance from cabinet. Distance from exchange is irrelevant Smiley

They are saying the fault is in the house. I've had the VDSL router in the test socket and the sync speeds never dip below 20Mb/s download and 2Mb/s upload (this has also dropped from 4Mb/s in the previous house, 20 feet down the road).

With such a stable sync speed, does it sound like a wiring fault?

Looking at the graph it seems that your line speed dropped from 20 to 15 on the 16th of June. That drop does suggest a fault somewhere to me.

But you then you say

I've had the VDSL router in the test socket and the sync speeds never dip below 20Mb/s download and 2Mb/s upload (this has also dropped from 4Mb/s in the previous house, 20 feet down the road). These are the same speeds I get in or out of the test socket

If there is no change between the test socket and the normal socket it suggests there is no wiring fault in the house. But how come you are seeing 20Mb/s at the moment if your graph is showing 15Mb/s?

gree0115
Rising Star

Re: Fibre connection gradually slowing down

Well we're probably a long way from the street cab as well as we have relatively slow speeds for fibre broadband. As you say these relatively short distances over single mode fibre don't attenuate.

When I say sync speed I mean the speed which my router shows it is connected at to the network kit at the exchange end, which is 20-21Mb/s downstream and 2Mb/s upstream. This is usually the same as the IP Profile of the line, but my problem is the actual speed which is shown in the SamKnows graph I've posted. What I'm saying is the sync speed never drops below 20-21Mb/s but as you can see the ACTUAL line speed is deteriorating on a monthly basis.