Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection fixed but DL speed still slow

FIXED
benwissett
Dabbler

Fibre connection fixed but DL speed still slow

Had an engineer out yesterday to fix a dodgy FTTC connection (loop condition on the line due to a previous engineer's work, it seems) and all seemed to be well when I left the house after he'd gone:

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:20:35
Downstream: 39.06 Mbps
Upstream: 1.266 Mbps

Currently showing as syncing at 39-ish Mbps which appears to be as it should be. However download speed is still ridiculously slow and appears to top out at around 0.5Mbps regardless of the sync speed. BT Wholesale speed test shows my download speed as being 0.63Mbps also.

Upstream seems to be a lot faster by comparison (more like what I should be getting) which seems very odd to me. Getting the same result across all devices connected to wifi - not able to test via ethernet as I've not got a laptop to hand but I can't imagine I'd get much improvement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
benwissett
Dabbler

Re: Fibre connection fixed but DL speed still slow

Getting the below when checking my line profile at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed:

Telephone number:0151726XXXX
Phone exchange:LARK LANE
Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 35Mb and 49.6Mb) - Checked on 2016-05-23 12:59:01
Current line speed:0.7 Mb

I'm guessing my profile isn't right due to the prior issues with the line - is this something PN can fix or will I need to wait?

Weirdly the number showing on that page isn't the number I get when I check my home phone stuff as we moved house and had to move numbers as well (never use the landline so wasn't fussed about this) - could this be related as well?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

PN should be able to rectify this pretty quickly for you over online chat, just ask them to update your profile Smiley

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Fix

Good morning Smiley 

the profile our side was set very low due to the previous fault you had, I've updated things on our end, if you restart your router you should get the expected speeds

benwissett
Dabbler

All seems to be sorted now, thanks! I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days just in case tho.