Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection disconnects 1-3 times per day

superlative
Dabbler

Fibre connection disconnects 1-3 times per day

Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum and I just wanted to get some advice and opinions really.
I upgraded to fibre optic from ADSL a few months ago, and since then I've had regular, brief drops in my connection. It normally happens once per day, but sometimes it will be up to three times in a single day. Other times I can go for two or three days with no interruptions.
In my router logs the disconnections show up as 'PPP link down', and it normally takes about a minute for the router to re-authenticate with the remote server and get back online again. Once it reconnects it is normally to a new gateway IP.
I've raised this as a fault twice now with Plusnet, and they just say to me that my connection is stable and I have no issues. The disconnections appear on the testing graphs they post in the tickets as 'session end' and 'session start', so they do know what I'm referring to, but today they've said to me that these kind of disconnections are normal and they only consider it a fault if it is happening four times per day or more.
My question really is whether other people consider this normal or acceptable. If you're in the middle of streaming a film or playing a game online and you get randomly booted off the network, it can be very annoying - especially when you don't know if it'll just happen again in half an hour or not. So I was surprised when they said to me that this is normal and they don't even consider it a fault. I never used to have disconnections like these before I upgraded to fibre optic, and it's made me regret doing so as my connection doesn't even feel that much faster.
Any views or advice would be much appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: Fibre connection disconnects 1-3 times per day

Hello,
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear about the problems you are facing. Staff can you please post radius graph please? this will show if Fibre is dropping or just connection to the gateway.
It could be maybe a faulty router? Let staff read and display graph.
Thanks
Craig
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.
I can see you've got a ticket open with our faults team which has the graph attached but for the benefit of everybody else I've included it below.

Unfortunately intermittent issues can be the most troublesome to resolve particularly when most of the drops are happening outside of our suppliers working hours.
You've put on your ticket that you've tried a TP Link router as well. Which one is being used at the moment?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
superlative
Dabbler

Hello and thanks for the replies.
I've previously used two TP-Link routers I'd bought myself - a TD-W8980 and a TD-W8968. On Plusnet's suggestion I then had them send me a new standard Technicolor router a little while ago, which is what I'm using at the moment.
In all cases the disconnects happen in exactly the same way. The only variation I've noticed is that the Technicolor router reconnects a little quicker than the TP-Link ones did. Each disconnect is normally around 30-60 seconds, and occasionally longer.
superlative
Dabbler

Plusnet have replied to my ticket again now to reiterate that they consider the disconnections I experience to be normal. They've said also that fibre is more 'sensitive' than ADSL, which is why I never used to have this problem before upgrading.
I still find it odd that 1-3 disconnections a day is apparently fine and you're just supposed to tolerate it - I really wouldn't have upgraded if I'd known, as I prefer a reliable and stable connection to a slightly faster one and my ADSL speed was always OK.
Do other people have this and just live with it? Do you think I'm being unreasonable?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
thesawdust
Grafter

I can't really say i've noticed 1-3 drops a day, on both ADSL or fibre  Shocked
infact, my connection always seems to be online for 20+days before it drops, unless i gateway hop (which isn't that often)
my ADSL with plusNET was stable. Something isn't right and not very often we see people saying it drops 1-3 times a day. KEEP NAGGING
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear the issue is still ongoing.
We're still seeing drops in the evening and I do agree that one to three drops isn't normal.
Is it possible for you to make a direct connection to the modem to see if the connection still drops out?
All of the drops are occurring in the evening so if you could leave it connected from 6 to 9 we can see if the drops still occur.
I've included a guide on how to do this below.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
If you need any further help with this let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
adam1240
Grafter

I have this exact same issue, as a gamer, it's extremely frustrating especially if the game is online.
I never had this issue with any other broadband provider.
the supplied technicolor router is damn awful, the reviews for it are terrible, why don't you change to a more decent one?
superlative
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies.
I did try better routers, that's partly why I bought the two TP-Link ones I've been using. It was Plusnet that convinced me to switch back to the Technicolor one in case it was the TP-Link routers causing the problem. I don't think that's the case though, as it hasn't made any difference which router I use.
Matthew - I'm a bit confused by you saying all of the disconnections are in the evening. As you can see on the graph you posted, some of them are in the mornings and afternoons, and sometimes when I'm not even using the internet. I can try connecting directly to the modem, and I've done that before following the advice I got in one of my tickets. The difficulty is if I connect that way I have to sit next to the modem, using the internet, potentially for hours to see if it drops. I won't get a router log or anything to show me when it happens retrospectively, because the router is no longer involved. I suppose I could connect that way and just leave the computer online without using it, and rely on your graphs to show me if it dropped or not, but even if it doesn't it might just be that it hasn't dropped during that period - it doesn't do it ALL the time, or at predictable intervals. And it would mean none of my other devices can use the internet while I leave it like that. So I'm a bit dubious as to whether that's going to be beneficial.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@superlative
Sorry about I meant to say most are occurring in the evening
Your latest graph is below

Apologies I couldn't see that you've done the direct connection before. It does put us in a bit of a bind as the only thing we can do to progress further is to book a engineer however due to the issues happening intermittently he may struggle to find a issue. If you can let me know when your available I'll see what we can do. I'd like to get the engineer to swap the modem and carry out a lift and shift at the cabinet if possible
@adam1240
Sorry to hear that your having issues as well. At present there's no plans to supply a different router but if the connection is still dropping out frequently then I'd recommend getting back in touch with our Faults team.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
superlative
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your reply. I have sent you a direct message.
Best wishes,
Simon
adam1240
Grafter

I'm still getting Disconnect's 3 - 4 Time's a day, was time's few days ago now back up to one, i personally think it's the router, it's goddamn awful. i'm thinking about buying a TP - LINK
Could you check my connectivity for me?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@adam1240
The last couple of days haven't looked too bad, no drops since Saturday evening:
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adam1240
Grafter

It keeps happening, today it happened 2 - 3 times in space of an hour, it's getting silly is the router playing up?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's a tough one to say without being able to test against a different router. Have you reported these issues to us through the faults checker? https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.