cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection died - DSL up, Hub one doesn't progress past "PTM over DSL is up"

FIXED
jimbof
Grafter

Fibre connection died - DSL up, Hub one doesn't progress past "PTM over DSL is up"

Moved back to Plusnet a week ago.  DSL came live without any issue.

As per the title; this morning looked like broadband was down when I woke up.  Checked the router logs, I figured it was a glitch after BT's usual early hours kit maintenance.  Cycled router a few times (an old Home Hub 5A which has been working for ages) - which didn't fix anything.  Unwrapped the brand-new Hub One which behaves exactly the same.  I noticed the Hub One had the setup username on it, so I just changed that to be my own username / password combo, no difference.

DSL is connected as it always has been 20000 / 79995 as viewed via Helpdesk (maximum data rate 29097 / 90690).  I only see two WAN related messages in the Hub One:

77.840000 PTM over DSL is up

30.680000 WAN Auto Sensing Running

It is as if the connection to the cabinet is fine, but that the cabinet is not connecting me to Plusnet's infrastructure.

I'm plugged into the test socket at the moment as instructed this morning by the advisor on the phone (I was away at work), which of course makes no difference.  Just currently on hold to try and get speaking to someone again.

(note to any plusnet staffers - I can't work out how to associate my new plusnet username with my existing forum ID - so if there is a username registered it is probably out of date).

Any ideas?  I am a bit stumped.

11 REPLIES 11
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre connection died - DSL up, Hub one doesn't progress past "PTM over DSL is up"

your main site user details should be what your needing not the forum login (unless you set them both up to be the same)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
jimbof
Grafter

Re: Fibre connection died - DSL up, Hub one doesn't progress past "PTM over DSL is up"

Thanks.  I am using my xxxxx@plusdsl.net username / password combo on the router for the PPP login from when I set up the broadband account.  This is a forum ID I've used for quite a few years now and the note to staff was in case they record which forum ID is related to which account - any record they might have about what my plusdsl username was will be out of date.  

As I say, the router never gets that far.  Despite what the homehub UI says, there are no logs whatsoever relating to PPP.

My phone line works fine, and the caller ID is correct, so the line itself hasn't been cross-jumpered at the exchange.  I don't think it is a coincidence that my new next-door neighbour thinks their new line with TalkTalk is going to be going live today.  

At the moment I reckon that might be implicated, and somehow my data over VDSL is ending up somewhere else - either I've been jumpered to another port in the cabinet or the port configuration has changed.  Or perhaps some kind of fault in our cabinet after the VDSL modem at the other end, as that seems to be fine.

The lady who dealt with the issue on the phone yesterday has raised it as a fault with BTOR after we checked out both a BT HH5and the Plusnet One into the test socket.  She couldn't see any attempt to log in arriving with them since the issues began yesterday early hours.

jimbof
Grafter

A little further supporting info; I have an old BT Openreach modem lying around; connecting that up direct to my Macbook gives a lit DSL light, yet the PPP connection fails and the log is as follows:

Wed Jul 27 06:59:39 2016 : publish_entry SCDSet() failed: Success!

Wed Jul 27 06:59:39 2016 : publish_entry SCDSet() failed: Success!

Wed Jul 27 06:59:39 2016 : PPPoE connecting to service '' [access concentrator '']...

Wed Jul 27 07:00:45 2016 : PPPoE connection failed, No route to host

nanotm
Pro

try running the tap 3 test and see what it returns 

start by changing your username to speedtest@speedtest_domain and leave the password blank

after you have changed the username, try opening a command prompt and enter

nslookup test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com

then copy n past that into a text file and open a browser to and input the web address of test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com and run the test (iirc you have to run the basic test and then pick advanced and click run tap 3 test)

that should tell give some results that you can also save to a file on your pc and then upload to your ticket with plusnet.

mind you its been a few years since I last had to go through that rigmarole due to some cabinet monkey pulling lines out and then shoving them back into the wrong cards most likely because the cabinet reached 100% capacity then /

after running that you'll have far more grounds to get things fixed

jimbof
Grafter

Thanks, I'll give it a go this evening.

A bit of a shame that the quoted time for BTOR is 72 hours for them to look at the fault.  Out of interest, is there any improvement on that for business customers?  If there was then I might be inclined to get a business line next time.

nanotm
Pro

probably depends on the package you choose, but I think they do try and get someone out within 24 hours for business customers

if your interested in that sort of thing you should probably ask them if you can upgrade to a business service chances are they can do that transfer without needing to charge a full cancellation charge try sending one of the admins a pm about it (not a moderator)

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

I've taken a look over your account and your line is showing as being affect by an MSO, however this shows as cleared yesterday so as you tested your line this morning using the Openreach modem it shouldn't have been that causing the problem.

I'm going to report the fault through but if you can try connecting again when you're back at your premises that'd be great.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jimbof
Grafter

Thanks Chris, I will do that when I get home, no problem, appreciate you taking a look.  I see you found my ticket.

I assume doing a factory reset on the Hub One will reset the PPP username / password to the setup one; should that username / password be enough for the Hub One to establish at least a connection of sorts?  

Chris
Legend

Yeah, factory resetting it will revert to a setup username while it pulls the PPP details back down, it'd definitely be worth trying that. If the router/modem have been left on trying to connect all day, it's also worth just leaving them unplugged for 15 minutes first.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jimbof
Grafter

Haven't needed to do anything for it to come back up; when I got home the blue light was on the Home Hub.

Looks like (from the logs) that at 17:36 today someone somewhere worked out which bit of kit they needed to "turn off and on again", or where to stick my cable, at which point PPP is restored in all its glory:

17:39:49, 27 Jul. (36434.020000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
17:39:39, 27 Jul. (36424.140000) PTM over DSL is up
17:36:52, 27 Jul. (36257.270000) PTM over DSL is down after 602 minutes uptime
07:34:08, 27 Jul. ( 93.160000) PTM over DSL is up
07:33:15, 27 Jul. ( 40.690000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.

Happy bunny once again, many thanks for your help. Thumbs_Up

Chris
Legend

That's great to hear, I'll pass the fault ticket back to you and it'll time out in 14 days.