Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre cannot possibly be even half promised speed

FIXED
Bill_Boddy
Hooked

Fibre cannot possibly be even half promised speed

Yesterday, jan 30th, I received an email saying that my fibre connection was now enabled.

I removed my old copper broadband box and installed the new fibre box, Plusnet Hub Pne, in it's place. Initially I was getting around 7.5 Mpbs on speed tests which seemed to be a bit slow even for day one but at least it was working.

Then during the evening I connected to my tv by ethernet and had problems initially with it saying the connection to the BBC Iplayer due to the network needing to be set up; I had had similar problems when I first connected via wi-fi which is why I had switched to internet in the first place. However it then began to nearly work in as much there were many times when I was getting the rotatating arrow, in the end I gave up for around an hour. The program that I was watching went OK for 50 minutes before it went back to the rotating arrows, a third attempt later on succeeded in getting the last 10 minutes.

Today my broadband on OpenSuse Linux is still running at 7.5 Mbps but on Windows 7.1 the fastest I have had had been 3.3 Mbps; I do not see why there should be any difference.

The worst thing is that when I use to BT Wholsale site if I go to the step after the speed tests it says that the maximum speed for my phone number is 15.74 Mbps which is less than half I was told I would get around 35 Gbps.

What is going on?

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fibre cannot possibly be even half promised speed

It looks like your account is still capping your speed at the sync rate of your ADSL connection.

I've adjusted the speed profile to the current sync rate of your fibre service which is 16mbps.

If you can reboot your router you should see an increase in speed.

As your sync rate is below your estimates of 35mbps and we're not finding the cause of the problem, I'd recommend plugging your router into the test socket as explained here then raise a fault to us here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bill_Boddy
Hooked

This has indeed partially fixed the problems. I have acheived 17.73 Mbps runnung Linux but only 6.94 Mbps with windows 7.1; I suspect that it may be down to the anti-virus and will investigate this. So it will run at slightly over BT's gestimate, since there is copper in the mix nothing can be absolute.

However, the point is still that I have been promised that the broadband will run at over 30Gbps but the supplier, Openreach I presume, has said that the maximum on my phone line is only just under 16 Gbps. Is there no chance that BT are likely to fix this? I find it odd that in my prevuos house, some three miles from the BT exchange in an outlaying village had full fibre to the cul de sac for some months before I left over 14 years ago whilst I now live just over half a mile from where I live now. I realise that the infrastructure is out of the hands of Plusnet but they did have the capability of obtaining the data from BT.

Regards and thanks for a quick service,

Bill Boddy

Clip the apex.com

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The fact that your windows machine is going slower that the Linux one suggests problems outside of the responsibility of Plusnet.

Also you need to help yourself. Your first move should be to follow Gandalf's instructions and determine whether the problem in on your side of the BT Master Socket. You seem to be hung up about the report that your line is only capable of 16 Mbps (not Gbps!). This could be caused by your internal wiring. If you follow Gandalf's instructions then you may find that your line can indeed sync at 30Mbps. You may need to get into your router settings to check this as it is probably currently limited by the 16Mbps profile.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

What does the DSL Checker say for your line?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Post a screen image if you can (without your phone number!!!).

Brian

Bill_Boddy
Hooked

Yes, I did say that I would investigate the Windows problem. Meanwhile here is the data as requested attached.

P.S. I must have gone back to former days when Gigaherz was a day to day occurrence!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Apart from any Windows / Linux problems the DSL Checker results confirm you have a problem with the line.

The Handback Threshold is "34" on a clean line - if you're not getting anywhere near this then you need to follow the links provided in an earlier post, do the tests and then report a fault.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

OK so this is showing that you are achieving less than the handback speed for an impacted line so there is no question that you have a problem. Consequently you should now complete the Gandalf tests and if this is unsatisfactory then you need to report a fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bill_Boddy
Hooked

Openreach engineer came, installed master socket, remade 3 tired connections and the situation has improved. The download is now 27.07 against a maximum of 29.73, upload 5.1 with maximum of 10.

According to measurements from internet my house is pretty well exactly from the fibre box and the route is almost certainly following the road. I will keep on monitoring the situation, this is the minimum acceptable but we have to be realiastic about these things.

Thanks to all for their help on this,

Bill Boddy

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear they've made a improvement!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team