Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre cable to an address in Harold Hill

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Fibre cable to an address in Harold Hill

Hi

I have a friend who lives in Gooshayes Drive, Romford. According to information that they have found, the FTC box is 500m from their home, but they can't get anyone to connect them. Is there a way for them to confirm if PN can connect them for fibre?

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Fibre cable to an address in Harold Hill

If you put the phone number in here you will get a report of what’s available https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ Their line may not be connected to the adjacent junction box and/or there might be no available fibre channels in the FTTC box.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @John_Hull,

If your friend has an existing landline number I'd recommend that they enter it in the BT Broadband availability checker here. If VDSL Range A (Clean) and VDSL Range B (Impacted) are showing as available we will be able to order fibre for them.

Alternatively, if they enter their landline number or first line of address and postcode in the Openreach "When can I get fibre" page here it'll show whether fibre is available. If fibre isn't available this site will show whether our suppliers are currently in the process of supplying fibre to the area.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Hi I don't have a landline number for them, but I tried going through signup with their postcode (as far as checking availability, and it says they can have fibre. But that's what Sky et al prior to cancelling their order (apparently because no Openreach connection is available). Is there a way to confirm availability before they go through the pain (again)

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@John_Hull

It could be the fibre cabinet is at capacity so there's currently no connections available.

Try the DSL Checker to see what it says. PlusNet may be able to check capacity if you post the Exchange and cabinet number.

Brian

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Duplicate post here.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @John_Hull,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately we are unable to check the connections available until an order is placed and engineer has attended. It is at that point the engineer will be able to advise if there is any spare connections.

We are really sorry for an inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@SammyM  That is absolute nonsense, if there is no availability on the ordering system you can't even place an order with your suppliers so no engineer is going out to look for connections.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @RealAleMadrid

I am really sorry there seems to be some confusion here.  John_Hull advised that upon sign up it is stating availability for fibre, however when the engineer for sky had been out to connect them to the service, it had showed there was no more room for new connections for fibre services.

It was this I was referring to. If our suppliers have stated on the DSL checker that fibre is unavailable then we are unable to place an order for fibre. However in the circumstance that John_Hull has raised, it is here we are unable to confirm there is space until an engineer visits.

I hope this helps. 

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@John_Hull   I should ignore SammyM's comments as they are not very helpful. Engineers do not go out to see if a connection is available. 

The BT checker link given by Baldrick post#2 in this thread using the address option shows that various properties in Gooshayes Drive are served by Cabinet 1 on INGREBOURNE exchange and that Fibre (FTTC) is available. I don't know why your friend had trouble with SKY cancelling the order unless the line in question connects to a different cabinet which from the checks I did looks unlikely.

Getting the phone number and using that in the checker would be the next step, if that shows fibre, PlusNet use the same checker to confirm availability so your friend should be able to order the service. Hope this helps.Smiley

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all the help guys. My friend is now on holiday (lucky him) for  couple of weeks. He did have a phone number previously, but it comes up in the checker as unrecognised. If I understand it correctly, when Persimon built these homes, they had the phone lines and cabling done by a company, but they provide a rubbish service, and that's why my friend is now having problems changing. I'll follow up with them, when they get back.

John

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

If he isn't on a BT supplied line he will have big problems getting FTTC. Sounds like the developer used a different supplier.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Hi
That may be the problem. The Openreach cabinet isn't far away, but it may be that the cable from there to their home isn't Openreach.I'll check when they get back.

John