cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband won't sync/connect to my router

milesharrison
Hooked

Fibre broadband won't sync/connect to my router

Hi, I'm in a new build and I had an engineer round this morning from Openreach and he did a little bit of fiddling and then he got the phone line going. He said the broadband would activate later today. I got the email from plusnet saying it had been activated but still my plusnet router won't connect or sync at all. The B light just flashes red.

I know what I am doing and everything is set up properly. It doesn't help that I don't have a BT master socket in the house (just some generic one the electricians mush have put in) but I have tried disconnecting the extensions myself and tried that but still no success. I am very close to the cabinet so that isn't the problem and like I said, the phone line works fine. I cant find much info online but the only responses I have seen suggested that the engineer may have messed up the install at the exchange.

Plusnet have raised a fault ticket but they said everything seems OK their end. Anyone got any tips or possible solutions to my problem as I really don't want to wait another 10 days for the engineer to come round.

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Fibre broadband won't sync/connect to my router

milesharrison
Hooked

Can the mods move this then please, I posted it in the forum marked 'Broadband' which seemed pretty appropriate. Maybe calling it 'ADSL Broadband' might be useful and save people making the same mistake.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@milesharrison wrote:

Can the mods move this then please, 

DoneSmiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there, welcome to the community forums.

I am sorry to hear you are unable to connect to the internet after your services have gone live.

I've tested your line and I can see your router isn't in sync with the exchange. I've progressed your fault to our suppliers and we've been asked to book an engineer appointment with you to investigate this further.

I'll update your ticket in a few moments to reflect this, if you let me know on here once you've replied I can get the engineer booked in for you. (At the moment, we have availability from tomorrow).

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
milesharrison
Hooked

Thanks for that, do you think it is likely to be a problem with my wiring? It seems odd that I am able to get a crystal clear dial tone (and an use the phone) but still no internet. Sounds more like they forgot to switch something on at BT's end?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It's possible it may be a fault with your wiring, without a master socket it'll be difficult to easily tell. It's also very possible that the fault is at the cab/exchange.

A bit of a game of chance I'm afraid until an engineer investigates it.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Surely the original OR engineer should have 'regularised' the installation and installed a master socket ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

milesharrison
Hooked

The place is brand new and the wiring hasn't been done by a professional. It just has a generic master socket with the capacitor on it, extension cabling is shoved into the back of the same connectors (meaning wires are doubled up) which again is pretty poor. I was expecting the Openreach guy to replace it with a BT socket as I had ordered a 'New Phone Line' from Plusnet/BT but he just tested it and fiddled with the cabinet/exchange and left me with a phone line but no broadband.

My only other theory is the real master socket is somewhere else and they have sent a filtered connection to my property (it is in an apartment building) meaning the DSL signal is filtered out. Whilst that sounds mad, I wouldn't put it past the property developer. I'm getting the key tomorrow for the service cupboards so I might go exploring to see if I can see any other issue.