Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband very slow today

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Fibre broadband very slow today

Thought I would run a check today and found that the BTW Performance test was 4.48mbps D/L normally around 50mbps & 4.94mbps U/L (see attached screen shot)

I did an Ookla test within minutes and found the result being 51.53mbps D/L and 13.64mbps U/L (see attached screen shot)

I would like to know the difference please as PN can only work on the BTW results

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title after split to new board.

10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Fibre broadband very slow today

Moderator's note:

Split to it's own thread in the Fibre board and title changed slightly.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

mikeh
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I find running the BTW speed test through Firefox in the past few weeks gives an unreliable result. Much lower download and upload speeds are recorded than is the actual performance. I find using another browser like Windows Edge gives a true result.

mikeh
Rising Star

These tests were taken today within a minuet of each other.

mort7890
Pro

Did you try Ookla

http://www.speedtest.net/

as a comparison both through edge and firefox also have you got the new firefox?

mikeh
Rising Star

I've just retested using all three with the latest version Firefox 57 and still getting lower speeds with Firefox. My fibre is banded at the moment but I am some distance from the cabinet so the speeds are low.

mort7890
Pro

Thanks for that but it does not show the vast difference my tests show yours 16 to 9 mine 51 to 4 would just like someone from PN to give the answer. 

mort7890
Pro

Checked BTW Speed Test and suddenly my D/L is 51mbps but my U/L is still slow at 5mbps,

Ookla report the same test at 51mbps D/L but 13mbps U/L

Both tests done through Firefox.

Just need to get my U/L speed through BTW better even though it is still not reporting the results correctly as it is showing a problem.

mort7890
Pro

D/L now fine now to get the U/L faster but as the BTW performance tester is yet again faulty  I cannot confirm what I am supposed to be on.

Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 47.79 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 5.28 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

mort7890
Pro

Ran another BTW Performance test and yes my D/L has improved but my U/L is very poor and the BTW site is still yet again not reporting details as an error occured. This is a regular problem on the BTW site and I have reported it previously

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 48.52 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 4.54 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

mort7890
Pro

Ran another BTW Performance test and yes my D/L has improved but my U/L is very poor and the BTW site is still yet again not reporting details as an error occured. This is a regular problem on the BTW site and I have reported it numerous time previously but still not getting fixed.

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 51.37 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 4.61 Mbps