cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband speed problem

stevemccl
Dabbler

Fibre broadband speed problem

Over the last few days the average download speed of my fibre broadband connection has dropped by approximately half (down from 38 Mbps approx. to 17 Mbps approx.). 

I have carried out the usual checks, i.e.  connected directly to socket, tested both wired and wireless connections, tested with 2 different machines and checked download speed with a number of different speed checkers.

The only unusual thing that happened is about a week ago I experienced a lot of line disconnections. Although this seems to have resolved itself I'm wondering if there may have been a speed cap put onto my connection. 

If anyone could help. or point me in the direction to escalate this fault I would be most grateful.

Kind regards,

Steve.

4 REPLIES 4
Don12

Re: Fibre broadband speed problem

I am having the exact same problem. They are sending out an engineer today which has been done before and found no fault at my premises and charged me £65.00 for the privilege. Unfortunately I signed up for another 18 month contract before the speed issues but if no fault found again at my property it's goodbye Plusnet fibre and mobile.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting in touch @stevemccl I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing the cause for this. If you've tried plugging your router into the test socket explained Here as the next step I think it'd be good to try another router as the one we've sent is around 3 years old.

While we've not proved the router to be faulty, to try another will rule it out or confirm the issue to be the router. If you'd want a replacement router from us I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to discuss this as we may need to recontract you in order to send one out free of charge.

Alternatively if you'd prefer to buy your own router, the details Here should help you when setting it up. If your speeds don't improve, I'd report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer to investigate further.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Hi @Don12 I'm sorry to see you've had an engineer charge applied because no fault was found. I've reviewed this and as your speeds were below your minimum guaranteed speed, this shouldn't have been chargeable, so I've refunded the fee to your bank account which you'll receive within the next 5 to 10 working days.

I've also added a reply onto your fault ticket regarding your current fault you'd be able to view and respond to from Here.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Don12

Gandalf, thank you for replying. I appreciate the refund and I will be in touch with Plusnet for a router replacement and if no joy after that then I will book another engineer. Kind Regards Don.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @Don12 

No problem. Apologies for the delayed response, I'm just wanting to follow up. I've retested your line today and I can see that your router appears to be getting a speed of 25mbps which is artificially restricted by the software at the exchange.

As there aren't any causes for this and your line is stable, I've arranged for us to submit a remote DLM reset to our suppliers to remove this artificial restriction, which should go through within the next 2 to 3 working days.

Once it's gone through I'll retest your line afterwards and we'll see where we stand.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet