cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband speed drop

rolya
Grafter

Fibre broadband speed drop

Hi - when I first signed up to fibre in March, I had download speeds of up to 65mb/ps. This continued and I was happy
Recently I found my speeds a little sluggish so re-checked and now find I top out around 36mb/ps at best, but often drifts to low 30's.
Upload has remained constant at around 16mb/ps
I paid for 40mb/ps account, so why can I not at least achieve that now ?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Fibre broadband speed drop

What result do you get on this speedtest over a wired connection?
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rolya
Grafter

See attached. Showing 37mb and also my previous speedtest.net history showing mid 60's

Thanks.
elfish
Grafter

If you are on the 40/20 package then the max that you can achieve is around 38Mbps. Those tests with the 60Mbps+ results, you were either given the wrong IP profile or you have anti-virus/other programs that have introduced buffering which will provide you with wrong speed test results. It's always best to disable any AV when running speed tests.
rolya
Grafter

It's not AV (or otherwise) Profile must have changed, just frustrating I am not informed if that is the case.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

You've always been on the up to 40mbps package however due to agent error you were getting higher speeds.
At the moment your getting the correct speeds so there isn't anything further we can do.
If your wanting to get back to speeds above 40mbps you'd have to upgrade to our Fibre Extra package.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rolya
Grafter

thanks for confirmation Matt, just seems odd that I can't get the full 40mb as advertised and that we have to accept lower. If I ever get it buy you a pint be sure it will be slightly less in revenge, even tho I could get you the full pint  Tongue
rward232

Hello,
          My connection is extremely slow and I can barely get the internet, I have tried the ookla speed test yesterday and today and these are my results.
6/9/15--Download:0.06  Upload:0.24  Ping:183
It then worsened today:
7/9/15--Download:0.02  Upload:0.15  Ping:127

Please could you reset my internet or do something please, as I am not great with technology and have a phobia of going on the phone.
Thank you.
Stronghold
Dabbler

Not sure if you will get much help on this matter.
I myself  have a ticket logged as I was getting 78mbs then my ip profile changed over night to 50 but according to plus net because the speed range that they supply is between 40-70 my speed would need to drop below 20% of 40mbs before they would class it as a fault never mind the 28mbs I've already lost.
I was receiving  a solid stable 78meg for over a year.
Seems to me that something is not right and I refuse to pay for a downgrade without a good reason why.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@rward232
Hi
Please follow the instructions at http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-i-have-a-fault/ to log a fault.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
onesmallstep196

Quote from: Stronghold
Not sure if you will get much help on this matter.
I myself  have a ticket logged as I was getting 78mbs then my ip profile changed over night to 50 but according to plus net because the speed range that they supply is between 40-70 my speed would need to drop below 20% of 40mbs before they would class it as a fault never mind the 28mbs I've already lost.
I was receiving  a solid stable 78meg for over a year.
Seems to me that something is not right and I refuse to pay for a downgrade without a good reason why.

I posted an identical problem this morning (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143543.0.html
There is far too much wriggle room for BT to declare a good line when its clearly not functioning anything like as fast as before.  My line worked perfectly for over a year and is now dramatically slowing down.  Is it due to more people using the system and BT having to control bandwidth?
I'm now outside of my 2 year agreement and starting to wonder if changing ISP might make a difference?
Stronghold
Dabbler

I'm not sure if a change of ISP will help but it might be worth checking out.
I spoke to a rep from BT today who insisted that speeds in my area are much higher with infinity 2, so  I will be asking a few people around town to get an idea of what people are really getting before I decide if I will end my 4 year run with plus net.
Just wrong that they can get away with such a poor fault range and I'm not paying for that kind of service.